Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urgent Exhaust problems

Phantom Menace

Mary Beth passed SVA and registration and came home last night. I am going out this weekend and spent 4 hours last night trying to get my race exhaust on. I can't get the standard exhaust off the manifold any ideas? Any other tips? I am going to wrap the race exhaust as well.

cheers.

PS Sorry 1.6 k series putting a 4-2-1 exhaust on. Do I have to hoist the engine back out or can I shorten the exhaust bolts so it comes off.

Edited by - Phantom Menace on 20 Apr 2002 06:10:04

Edited by - Phantom Menace on 20 Apr 2002 09:04:01

I haven't done the job, but I'm told there isn't enough clearance to get the manifold off the engine without undoing the mounts and at least rocking the engine to one side. Also coolant rail gets in the way - needs undoing.

• Area Representative

I cut mine off with a hacksaw blush.gif. The studs are to long. You can shorten them with the manifold off.

Depends if you want to use the old system again. The water rail will need to be removed & a long socket is required because of the studs. You will not regret putting the race system on. It pulls better & revs freely right up to the change up light teeth.gif

Good luck.

Edited by - Tin Man on 20 Apr 2002 16:16:10

Not too sure what "standard" exhaust Caterham are fitting now but I got my standard manifold off (1600 K) without disturbing the engine mounts by removing the studs completely. I removed the water rail to make things easier but not too sure whether this is essential.

Mick