Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting harnesses

EE

I am about to embark on my first upgrade,if indeed this qualifies as an upgrade, since I bought the car. I am replacing the inertia reel seat belts with harnesses. This will be the first time I've taken a spanner (or any tool come to that) to my car. I really don't want to screw it up but we all have to start somewhere.

1 The build manual says fit the harnesses before fitting the seats. I can understand why as there is little or no space to work in once the seats have gone in. But I thought I might try and do the work without removing the seats first. The strap bolts are allegedly tightened to 45lbft. Just how tight is that? I'm concerned that I'll do either myself or the car a grevious mischief trying to undoe them.

2 Alternatively I can remove the seats as per the build manual. Are the seat runners really only held on by 4 bolts accessible from under the car?

Cheers,

Eric

You won't be able to do it with the seats in the car so take them out. 2 bolts fore & aft for each runner.

The seats may be handed so don't get them mixed up.

45 ft/lbs................ If you don't have a torque wrench then do them up tight but not too tight.

If not then you will have to take them out. It is very simple (I've done it successfully!) and yes there are 4 x 10 mm bolts to remove and the seats and runners lift right out.

The bolts for the harnesses are captive so just tighten them into the threaded holes.

This one goes up to 11

Edited by - puremalt on 1 Jul 2007 21:13:45