Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slicks help

AndrewD

I am picking up a spare set of rims for my SLR, 7.5 fronts and 8 rear.

These currently run 7-21-13 and 8-22-13 ACB10s.

Can anybody help with two questions:

1) What size slicks would work best on these rims, the same as the ACB10s (I thought I'd read somewhere that its better to run other sizes)?

2) Anybody know where to buy some slicks (e.g. little used ones) or do I have to go the 100 pounds a corner brand new route?

TIA

Andrew

Yellow SLR T777XXX

used SLR race series slicks are relatively readily available, but they are not necc much good for the front (so I am told). As it's hard to get warmth in the front tyres, they are often quite hard by the time they are finished with. I was going down that route, but I will prob go the ACB10 route.

Graham

6.5" rim would take a 7" slick. I use 7" slicks on 6" rims and 7" rims.

8" rims should have 8" slick maybe 9".

I have found used slicks to be ok from grip point of view.

They come back esp if you heat gun and scrape them clean.

It could be that some sets are not properly scrubbed in through their correct cycle and are not ever as good as they could be.

You have to be careful with used slicks as the bead that seats on the rim can come away when they are removed making it impossible to get them airtight on the new rims.

Next question is pressures. For a 7 and not too warm ambient temp, start with 18psi and let down until you reach 20psi hot all round. When stone cold you will have different pressures

depending on the type of the circuit. Clockwise circuits put more heat in the left side tyres. I had 15 psi on the left rear after Lydden for example.

You can read more about this sort of thing at

http://www.avonracing.com/frames.htm

Under tech info.

It shows you how to put them on right too. Take the dia with you to make sure the guy putting them on does it right.

Best of all go somewhere that knows slicks. They are much more difficult to put on due to the very, very stiff sidewalls.

Take a spray of soapy water and run it in the rim / tyre bead when the tyre is on to ensure the bead is seating correctly (no bubbles) there and them before you drive home.

Driving with slicks is a very nice experience. You feel like you have really made it in to motor sport and for track use they last MUCH longer than any other grippy tyre. It is what they were designed for. On short circuits you will be able to drive round much more exotic machinery (on other tyres) and even catch them on short straights as you get out on the corner at faster speeds.

Edited by - stevefoster on 21 Apr 2002 11:25:43