Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel and bhp calculations

Swiss_Tony

There is some info here. You will need to do some units conversion as its an American web page!

The volume flow rate down a pipe under laminar flow conditions is given by

Volume/second = (Pi*P*R^4)/(8*Eta*L)

Where Pi = 3.142, P = the pressure drop between the ends of the pipe( in Pascals), R is the internal radius of the pipe (in metres), Eta = the dynamic viscosity of the fluid(in Pascal.seconds), and L is the length of the pipe (in metres).

From a couple of sources I have that for viscosity conversion 1 cP = 0.001 Pascal·second

Petrol (gasoline) has a viscosity of around 0.6 cP at room temperature or 0.0006 Pascal.second but is a strong function of temperature.

Colin

Edited by - Colin Mill on 26 Jun 2007 20:16:38

One of the easiest ways to check this is to run the fuel return to a bucket and measure the flow there. By definition, the FPR is setting the appropriate pressure and the pump is doing what it has to do to pump as much as poss at that pressure (at the fuel rail).

The simple rule of thumb is 0.5 lbs/hp/hour.

Fuel density is... .73722 kg/l according to wikipedia.

Therefore...

0.5/2.2/.73722=0.30763 litres/hp/hr

Or... 307cc/hp/hr

Or... 5.13cc/hp/min

So if you run your pump for a minute and you get 1.538 litres of fuel in your bucket then you have enough fuel flow at the set pressure for 300bhp.

You don't really have to worry about the fuel pressure drop in the supply pipe as long as the pressure drop across the fuel rail is low.

Thanks guys *thumbup*

I will get in the garage at the weekend 😬

Matt

As you know I have a large garden and my ride on petrol mower is playing up. I think it has a fuel starvation issue so I am trying to sort it so it runs nicely *wink*

James

Su77on Se7ens