Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raceco Exhaust has a split in it.. gutted

anthonym

Gutted to discover my Raceco exhaust has a split in the titanium (?) outer.

Plan to stick it with some heat resistant tape of some sort.

I fear the whole thing falling to bits as the "split" makes its way the whole way round the box.. is this likely? Guess if you have to please.

Am I in for a whole new exhaust or can the outer skin be replaced/exchanged?

Incidentally this is "user abuse" by me, not faulty manufacture. One foreign rock too many.

Anthony

• Area Representative

If the split is near one end or t'other could you perhaps trim the outer sleeve to remove the damage (and cut down the inner pipe accordingly) and run a slightly shorter can?

Crudders

This is the email I received from Anthony (which is more or less what he says to me in an answering machine message too):

Hi

Further to my phone message, I have split my raceco ti exhaust "box".

Can you supply a replacement part to me in Switzerland?

If I tape up the existing item what chances it might fall to bits? I am wondering how much pressure is within normally.

I'll let you now in any case what happens.

My Raceco exhaust has been in 8 countries over the last five months of last year, all sorts of terrible terrain etc and performed fine - which for me means not getting too hot, not burning bare flesh on children and adults (previous did both), keeping French police happy by being quieter, being resilient despite frequently being grounded (read hitting rocks etc). Don't know what finally split the skin..

Regards,

Anthony

http://index.anthonymellor.com for journal of travels in my R500 last year.

In reply:

Anthony

Don't know if tape will make a passable repair. It is worth a try but I don't hold up much hope. I would look at getting some ali sheet or other sheet metal and wrapping it around the silencer with exhaust paste and holding the lot together with very large jubilee clips or wire. I have done this at the race track on my race bike when a carbon silencer burnt through and it lasted long enough to do its job. This will be a short term repair to keep you going.

Mike Riley (Meteal Mickey) who makes all the silencers for Raceco is on his hols on Le Sept and not due back until the 3rd of July. I am sure a new sleeve can be made and despatched to you. The silencer is definitely repairable. To make a good job it should be returned to Mike so it can be checked for any other damage and re-packed.

Best regards

AMMO

and my reply:

Hi Amedeo!

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds to me like the way I can proceed is to

1 order a replacement,

2 return the damaged item for repair and then

3 upon its return I have a spare. The rough terrain I frequent suggests this may be a cycle that will happen again. Is the new item flat or circular on delivery? I am wondering if it is easy to store, in other words flat, so it could live for example on the floor of my tow car boot between a couple of sheets of... something soft. If it is circular... that will get me thinking...

Any chance we can find a spare before Mike returns? Steal one off a complete unit for example?

Regards

Anthony

edit: I mean take one off a stock item not someone else's ! Words read slightly different in here compared to email.

how about a roll of cooking foil and some cable ties?

seriously folks, the raceco skin doesn't get overly hot (that's why I bought it, to protect the innocent) and cable ties seem .... well, they always work.. don't they? *confused*

I don't have access to much at the mo..

too late to see that last today, however I have been to the car and drilled a hole at each end of the split metal and then taped the whole with ally tape. Unfortunately I do not think the ally tape's glue is heat resistant as none of the pictures on the packaging involve heat.

Anyway I seem to think it is the drilled holes that are the most important thing, to stop the progress. I will obtain some tank tape (whatever that is) and tape it over the tin foil I bought today in the supermarket (you must have sent me the thought).

I take it tank tape is heat resistant tape of some sort.

Thanks very much for your timely comments. Just the ticket.

Anthony

it will? that's excellent news, perhaps they ally tape I have used will be ok also.

Is it that duct tape resists heat or is it that the Raceco skin does not get particularly hot?

If the former, I think my ally tape's glue will melt, if the latter I amy be ok.

Anthony

Is it that duct tape resists heat or is it that the Raceco skin does not get particularly hot

- bit of both really, I wouldn't put it on the exhaust pipe itself but the outer silencer sleeve shouldn't get that hot and it will cope with all sorts of temps, moisture etc far more than the likes of insulating tape *thumbup*