Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The definitive K-series click cure?

Bricol

Mine is above the starter. Mine looks very old but I don't get any of the 'clicks' (kiss of death? *confused*)

Mine has problems turning over on occassion but I think this is when trying to start at top of compression stroke, another stab and it starts. 😬

I get the click of death. Looking at the clearance between primary #4 and the solonoid, it must be getting roasted down there. Now I also get this nasty "flat-battery" effect where, when hot, the solonoid rotates the flywheel at about 1rpm for a few seconds, all the lights go dim and then it all gives up. Battery takes charge and goes to fully charged on the conditioner, but even so, I suspect mine is a battery starting to get old but i'm going to try a re-wire and see how that goes. It always starts a-ok from cold.

stephen

old style starters have the solenoid on top - recently (as in a couple of years or so?) caterham have switched to a design with solenoid underneath...

you can also get a similar design from other places such as Brise and Dikko the Herts AO....

---

this is a local sig for local people!

• 17 years later...

I have recently had K-series click issues and so I thought I would add my experience to this thread in case it helps others.  I've owned my car for 20 odd years and never had the click until I recently rebuilt it following many years off the road. 

I have tried wrapping the starter with the DEI sleeve.  Made no real difference - possibly I had to wait a shorter time before it would restart again, but I can't be sure.

Tried the relay mod, which seems to have worked.  I've had the car very hot recently and it happily restarts immediately if needed.  Now just need to find a place to mount the relay and tidy up the new wiring...

• Leadership Team
3 hours ago, JP said:

I have recently had K-series click issues and so I thought I would add my experience to this thread in case it helps others.  I've owned my car for 20 odd years and never had the click until I recently rebuilt it following many years off the road. 

I have tried wrapping the starter with the DEI sleeve.  Made no real difference - possibly I had to wait a shorter time before it would restart again, but I can't be sure.

Tried the relay mod, which seems to have worked.  I've had the car very hot recently and it happily restarts immediately if needed.  Now just need to find a place to mount the relay and tidy up the new wiring...

I’ve added my extra relay to the fuse/relay stack under the dash and routed the additional cables along the loom back into the engine bay. It’s been 100% reliable which contradicts the thought that cable length has influence. The relay mounts same as o/e are available from Polevolt.

Stu.

• Like 1

3. All starter & alternator wiring is enclosed in a heatproof sleeve & replaced every few years.

The above solves most issues - except heat soak destroying the brushes inside the starter. The heat fries the wires which develop such resistance they no longer carry the required voltage. Mine were so stiff they broke when bent - and the solenoid wire was carrying only 7 volts. Discovered on tour in Portugal in 2006.

Edited by anthonym

Fitted K Series click relay to my 7 when I got it as it had starting problems when hot. Once fitted the relay improved the situation. Soldering the spade connections rather than crimping gave me 100% reliability. No further issues in 3 years. Fitted the relay to the ECU bracket screw.