Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Prop shaft greasing

Midnight

I have this paranoid relationship with mine which are sealed and have been for> 30 years. Apart from checking the seals and checking the joints for play all I can do is think about what would happen if the front one let go at any sort of speed - taking out the floor, tunnel and my left leg (and possibly her right leg)- and balancing the likelihood of this and the aggravation of replacing them on a pre-emptive basis with possibly dubious rebuild kits. Do they fail catastrophically or just get clunky - assuming normal driving and no wheelies, doughnuts etc?

In my experience uj's give reasonable warning before going bang but I'm at a loss as to why they dont seem to be availabe with grease nipples, mine has these fitted and I top them up every six months or so, its an easy job to do and takes the worry out of failure.

They do rarely fail catastrophically. I have only ever heard of it happening once, and not on a seven. I have been in a car where one was getting dodgy when my dad had his garage, and the vibration was dreadful. Later sevens have the tunnel hoops to prevent injury in the event of failure.

The hole for the grease nipple does weaken the spider slightly. Most of the high strength Dana units have had the grease nipples removed to increase strength.

The grease life on a DeDion car should be very good because there is a limited amount of deflection as the prop alignment is quite good.

A live axle car probably needs a little more maintenance but should last for years even without new grease.

it is only when the rubber seals go hard and split with age. on the same lines as ball joints track rod ends ect then the centrifugal force displaces the grease a bit like when you turn on a food mixer without the lid on then dirt salt water ect

gets in and the damage starts to ware the small roller bearings.

fredid=blue> smile.gif

• 9 years later...

I tried to grease the UJs this weekend. Had to buy a flexible hose for the grease gun as I couldnt get the gun to it otherwise, even with the wxle stands as high as they'll go.

Does the part of the grease gun that pushes onto the nipple tend to loosen with age, as it was really hard to get it off the one at the rear of the car?, I also only realised when I rotated the prop that I had been merrily pumping grease in as it came out of the UJ on the other side, assuming this is no problem so just wiped it off.

On the front nipple I couldnt physicaly get the grease gun to push on, just wasnt having it, do grease nipples come in different sizes?

It's a 2007 car if it makes any difference.

First time I tried doing this job I had similar problems due to the fact I didn’t appreciate how the nipple and gun clip together. You tend to need a firm single direction movement to engage and disengage. The nipple is obviously a small slightly bulbous shape which engages in the sprung cross cut fitting in the end of the gun. Watch out for too much twisting as you can snap the nipple which is not to difficult to replace if you do.

• 1 month later...

I have a front U/J fail on a series 4 (Lotus) 7. Car was only a couple of years old and always serviced.

Driving back from Switzerland in 1971 got close to home whilst driving down the M4 at around 90mph, when there was a major vibration, terrific bang and flames shot across my lap from the centre tunnel. Stopped on the central reservation and watched the car disappear in flames and smoke.

Lotus said it had not happened to other cars.

Fire brigade reckoned I was lucky as - if I'd been going more slowly - they thought that the car would have 'pole-vaulted'. As it was, the propshaft disintegrated and just flailed around...

...Look after those U/J's

Having struggled to do mine up on axle stands, I now take the easy option & the very helpful guys at H Engineering in Tunbridge Wells fully grease both ends when the 7 is in for it's MOT. I give the mechanic a drink & this time he only charged me £35 for the test. *thumbup*