Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SUSPENDED!!!

tiptree

So I've ditched the 14" Michelins for 32's on 13" wheels, sump ground clearance with no one in the car is now just 70mm, a mite too low for me and the suspension seems to have too much travel when I brake hard. Shocks are not adjustable.

1.4kSS de Dion. Anyone suggest the best adjustable shock/spring combination for mainly road use with track days thrown in? I liked the feel of the car with the Michelin 14" tyres, it just didn't grip. Are these easy for me to fit in my garage or am I better off having the suspension set up at the same time as having them fitted?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

Tiptree.

I have 13" Minilites with AO21's on (60's) and use AVO adjustable damped shox with built in adjustable platforms + uprated springs. This is to counteract the effect of Toms Lane on my sump. Those who did the Rumble last year must know the Lane I mean. I lost 3mm off the sump fins!!!

I have about 85mm clear now on the 'K' series.

I had Caterham fit adjustable spring seats, carry out flat floor set up and change the normal springs on my 1.6 K series to 170 lb at the front and 21 progressive at the rear about 4 weeks ago. Car is primarily used on the road so did not want it to be too hard. The difference in handling has astonished me - I was not expecting such a difference. The turn in is now immediate - heaven knows what they are like wide track etc., car does not roll so much and the ride is fine

Well worth the expense (around £500 fitted , I did not fancy taking the front suspension apart yet again) - give Simon a ring at the factory - he was very knowledgeable and very helpful.

I am contemplating moving to 13X7 rims with 205 60 13 A021Rs at the rear( mostly fo fill the wheel arches).

To maintain the original clearance at the front, I was thinking about keeping my 14X6 front wheels with 185 60 14 A021Rs.

What would be wrong in terms of handling?

Would people really be able to notice difference in diameters between rear and front wheels?

If anyone in this thread is contemplating getting rid of their 14" wheels please let me know as I cannot get a 13" wheeled car into my garage without dismantling the hump that prevents my garage and seven being flooded during the winter.

I am therefore in the market for 14" wheels at the right price to put my track day tyres on.

Andy G

P.S. I know this should be in the wanted section but it was too good an oppurtunity to miss!

ANdy I run 14 inch wheels and would love to change them but have run out of money.

However I have recently done away with the spare wheel carrier etc and have the spare "spare". Its 4 yrs old but never used on the car having always been the spare. If you want it make me an offer - all you have to do now is find another 3.

Thanks for the advice. Martin, yes please do let me know what you think. Geoff, thanks again, price sounds fair too, may even be able to afford smart new wishbones for the front at that. I was thinking of asking Caterham to do it before I do my first track day, but wonder if anyone has experience of Ratrace for this type of job - assume they're cheaper than Caterham, but I do like the guys at Caterham.

Tomorrow's a good day for it!

It seems that the combination 14" 13" does not ring any bell.

Another point: I like the way the 14" wheels fill the 13-14 cycle wings. I am concerned about the 13" X 6" wheels not filling the arches as well. What would be the maximum size of both wheels ( 61/2") and tyre?

Cheers