Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series oil pressure

Richards 7

Wet sump 1.8 K series...... *wink*

have searched for this but not found the answer so........ *confused*

on start up about mid range on the oil pressure gauge (4??) but once thoroughly warmed the needle oscillates usually just above the red...is this normal and if not should I worry a lot or little. *redface*

Additionally a little sticker on the end of the cover near the dipstick says check oil with engine running and at operating temperature. This is what I now do, however last weekend someone told me that this advice is for dry sumps only........help!!!!!

now more worried than ever

R

Why do you need more power? said SWMBO not understanding at all

caterham oil Pressure sender very unreliable either change it or better still

fit mechanical pressure guage and do away with the rubbish from Caterham

Check oil with engine warmed up and running

Next service get rid of the foam sump baffle in the sump as well. If pressure still low then worry

Search techtalk with oil pressure as the subject line over the last 2 years and all will come up endlessly 😬

There has been several topics on the subject of oil pressure lately - sure you will find them if you do a 'search' in Tech Talk.

4 bar is normal when cold and when at high revs. Falls to around 2 bar when idling and hot.

Mine (wet sump) says check with engine hot and running too ?!

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

• Area Representative

As already stated the oil pressure senders are v. poor. Also foam baffle can break up and block the pick up. Do you know when baffle was changed? Suggest you drop sump to look at it.

I can help if needed.

Edited to say - Yes you do check oil level when hot and running.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 19 Jun 2007 11:19:53

Also 4 when cold and drops to between 2 and 4 when hot

My car having covered 5000 miles now I have changed the sump baffle about 1000 miles ago and the old one was in great shape, No breakup whatsoever!

Car has always been run on caterham comma synthetic oil and I am lead to beleive this is why I have no problems with the foam.......................BUT *rolleyes*who knows for sure!

One thing is for definite you need to check the baffle as a break up could possible result in a new engine.............. *eek*

Richard,

Almost sure to be the oil pressure sender - they seem to be Junk - My oil pressure dropped a couple of years ago when the engine had only about 6000 miles on it. Changed the sender and all was well. Now dropping again I notice. Hardly moves the gauge on tick over - I dont take any notice anymore.

Cheers.

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

So i will check the sump in a week or so when I have the time. In the meantime If I decide to change the gauge should I change just the sender or chuck the whole lot. In that case what about a combined oil temp and pressure gauge? There is a racetech one on demon tweeks is that a decent one????

sorry but a numpty on this

R

Why do you need more power? said SWMBO not understanding at all

Hi,

I've noticed my oil pressure has dropped.

It was running just above 4 cold and at full chat - just under 2 at tickover.#

Now it's running just below 4 as above and just out of the red on tick over!

I've done 2500miles (of which 4 track days 2 sprints and 1 race) is it buggerd???