Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake Caliper Pads.

Hurtle

My 94 SS has failed its MOT on the Handbrake.

My Car has an AP big break kit which has separate small and rather dodgy capliers for the handbreak.

One has no adjustment left as the pads are worn away and there is no grip on the disc whatsoever.

Does anyone have a pair of pads for these calipers knocking around?

Caterham are getting some in at the end of the month but I would like to get the car back on the road sooner if possible.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

Have you check to see if there are any spacers between the two halves of the caliper? If there are then try removing one and then making adjustments using the adjuster. I had this problem a few months ago pre-MOT. It's an 🙆🏻 of a job to get the adjustment right.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Here's a question for you. One of the pads (adjuster side) is a separate item. The other is fixed into the other half of the caliper. So if CC supply replacements do you get one piece of friction material plus half a caliper? How much do they charge for these? Interested as I may need replacements before next years MOT.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Caterham says its £8.50 + Vat per Pad. I have not actually taken the caliper apart yet, so are you saying the pad/material on the caliper side is fixed? *confused*

I read on a previous post about putting a spring over the cable between the cable holder and the caliper arm. I have done this and the side that is not worn does release much much better now. So I am hoping that after I get my hands on new pads, or take out a spacer, I might actually have a Hand break I can use *smile*

Jas.

Curious. I'm sure that the pad on the non-adjuster side is fixed to that half of the caliper. Maybe you have to break it apart and fit the new pad into the recess. Maybe someone else who's done it can confirm how replacement pads are fitted.

As to a usable handbrake surely that's only for the MOT? If you leave the calipers adjusted so that the handbrake works you'll find that they wear/squeal as it's such a carp design. That's my experience anyway.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

I will take mine apart and have a look.

The Springs push the caliper lever back much further than it can travel by itself, which then holds the pads off the disc. Looks like it works. I will let you know.

Jas.

Thing is that the pad fixed to the non-adjuster side can't move in relation to the cable/lever movement. When the lever is pulled by the cable it presses the pad onto the disc and must rely on flex to get both pads to contact the disc. Hence the need to adjust things with the spacers. Sorry not the best description but if you take one apart I think you'll see what I mean.

Maybe a post in TechTalk is required.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

You are probalby right, adjust for MOT and then adjust back off until next year.

Good to know its not just me who is having a nightmare with them.

I will put this on tech talk, if I dont get any further

cheers

Jas.

Jason, do what I did. Go the Halfrauds, buy a cheap set of pads, cut the friction material off the backing and epoxy onto the backing for the handbrake caliper. Work a treat for me. Not ideal but all it has to do is pass the efficiency test, after that you can take them out. I park in gear anyway.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly