Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Naff quick release wheel....

Julian Thompson

For the second time I find myself with a seven that has a little bit of "play" in the quick release steering wheel boss - I assume that they're all like that as my first one was a brand new car so clearly it is just a poor design.

I can't see what the point of being able to quickly release my steering wheel is anyway, so I'd like to bin the confounded thing and have a nice, permanently attached wheel.

Can I use the "quick release" steering column or must I buy something else?

Ta.

Julian

I have a leather Motolita steering wheel, boss and upper section of steering column that I am about to put in for sale section if you can't find a straight swap.

Abroad today but can take pictures and email them tomorrow if you are interested.

Alan

Jue,

Racetec or Lifeline?

I've had the Racetec fitted from new (nearly 6 years now) and have no pervcievable play in the wheel whatsoever. The lifleine units, judging by comments made on here, are not as good with regard to toelerances, even from new.

Mine's a Lifeline and only now 1000 miles old and it's got play.

The sharp machined ends of the splines on the column have cut away the alloy of the boss as it's slid on.

I've filed a small chamfer on each spline to remove the cutting edge and it's got no worse since. *rolleyes*

• Support Team

A temporary fix is to grease the splines heavily - this seems to be enough to take up the slack. The downside is of course that should you remove the wheel you will almost certainly get grease on your clothes when you exit the car.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Grease didn't seem to do a lot for mine ! Will look at buying a needle file and dressing sharp leading edge of splines, together with a bit of spline-spreading with a centrepunch !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

Yes, replied just before reading this lot!

I might have a quick go at the centrepunch thing before we do a swap.

One thing nobody has actually answered though -

Why on earth do you want to be able to remove your steering wheel in the first place? *confused*

PS

Mav - not sure what brand it is but looks exactly the same as the SLR one from 2002. (PS Send me that stereo back please - I'll forward payment for the carriage and deduct it from Kenwoods ad coop account :-))