Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Year 2000 1.6 VX Classic ( advice please)

Ozzy

A colleague of mine has seen one of these for sale. Apparently the asking price is £7,500. I don't know anything else yet, as I've not had a chance to speak to him, but I'm not familiar with these (is this the 8v engine?), but it sounds too cheap to me for a 2000 plate car, or am I missing something here?

Any info about these would be appreciated.

Oz.

Still Shaking

6 speed 1600 Supersport

with xtra DNA from DVA

The 1600 VX is the 8 valve engine, and a lot of them are ex-racers. I think they are all live-axle too.

When I was looking to buy my first Seven late last year there were quite a few about (end of racing season) and prices were around £7500 - £9000.

Alan

The existence of chance is everything and nothing whilst the greatest achievement is the living of life.

That sounds about right albeit probably at the bottom of the price range for these cars. I paid £9k for mine, an ex-racer 3 years ago. There are several on Pistonheads at the moment in the region of £8K.

I bought a 1999 one earlier this year for just short of £8.5k (seems to be the going rate on Pistonheads). It depends on condition, but £7.5k sounds prettry good to me.

They are very good, delighted with mine *wink*. The common feeling is that the 8v engine is very robust and shouldn't cause too many problems.

He should go for it *thumbup*

1999 VX1600

£7500 is a little on the low side for a 2000 but not far out. There are lots of them on Pistonheads and I notice my 1999 ex Vx 1.6 has had its price reduced twice now to £8.4k.

Very reliable engines, though I've read elsewhere on here that parts are becoming harder to find. I wouldn't worry about the fact they're ex racers other than bear in mind they're short cockpits and taller drivers may have their knees touching the underside of the wheel.

There's one on PH for £14k - someone is in for a rude awakening I fear ☹️

May have had a hard life (but many cars may have just done a couple of Academy races, then been roadcars since...), but racecars have probably been better looked after than most roadcars. Then again, it may not have been an Academy car (FIA 'bar, cutoff switch and lack of carpets are usual giveaway, but these could have been added/deleted afterwards).