Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjusting idle speed

Sandy

Trying to reduce the idle on my SLR down from 1300rpm (Has been this since I brought the car)

Have tried the following;

Cleaned IACV

Reset ECU

Adjusted throttle stops

With stops wound all the way out, the idle speed remains at 1300rpm

Am I doing something wrong or does anyone have any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Checked for leaks last night and can't find any. Made sure every thinks was tight ie fixings to head etc and vacume pipe that goes to the ECU.

The idle is still fast (1300-1400rpm) but couldn't get to the IACV plumbing. Next time I'll see what air flow is going through the butteryfly's. Should they be fully shut with the IACV doing all the work at Idle?

Gareth

Blue and Carbon 6 Speed Supersport here

Is this with a normal induction system?

Is it a plastic throttle body as these can warp and hold throttle open (only if a 'standard' setup)

Have you tried squeezing the air pipe to IACV (if you have one of these then I guess it is standard induction)? If you squeeze it it should struggle and revs should drop (IIRC). If it doesn't then the air must be comming from somewhere else. Do the revs drop off easily from say part throttle follwed by fast shutting of the throttle?

My new Duratec R400 idles at 12-1300 rev. When I went back to CC to get it set lower it appears that idle speed is correct but rev counter can't read below 1300 *rolleyes*! Might be worth checking your idle really is 1300

Dick

102 dB Superlight SV Duratec R400