Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Owner needs advice

Andy Woodward

Hi Guys thaanks for reading this, I am a new owner who has bought a C7 with little knowledge of the variable specs available and therefor unsure if what I have can be improved in any way. I am not only talking about power but cosmetics and build etc as well.

This is not to say that I am in any way unhappy with what I have but would appreciate your views.

My car is a 2001 Ex academy car 1.6 K Series 115 bhp. that had 800 miles on it and according to the info on the web took part in 3 races.

The drivers side has honeycombe type inserts across floor but not passengers, there is no spare, drivers seat is adjustable not passengers. Wheels are 13 inch minilites with Avon 185 70/13's all round.

These things don't particularly bother or effect me but ...is there an easy fix or obvious improvement?

Sorry these questions are a little basic but then I am the type of person who has always had someone else looking after my cars (tin top saloons)

Thanks for your comments

Andy

Not many road cars have honeycombing at all but it's easy enough to add it in if you want it. Attaching a spare carrier is more difficult and will probably require the services of Arch Motors (contact details in Low Flying) who manufacture the chassis. Again most people are trying to go the other way and have them removed. A can of Tire Weld should get you home from in the unlikely event of a puncture and is alot cheaper than a new wheel, tire and chassis mods. You don't need a spare to pass the MOT.

The biggest single improvement you can make is to ditch those tyres and get your wheels shod with some 021R Yokohama tires. This will completely transform the handling and braking of your car.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

I believe that the Honeycomb floor panels are only put in the drivers side normally. This is to allow the passenger side of the car to deform more in a racing accident (ie when not carrying passengers).

Why do you want to adjust the passenger seat?

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice so far gents, I really didn't know what the floor panels (honeycombe) was for so I didnt know if the passengers side needed it. Would it be safer for a passenger if it were included on their side?

I have a can of tire weld so thats that one answered, many thanks and from what you suggest tires are possibly my only real improvement. Thanks for the wheel advice, I has wondered if 14"/15" with lower profiles would help.

The passenger seat was a requirement of my 6'1" son who says there is 2" of space behind his seat and the lanky sod wants it in front of him.

Gary, the ride height will be no different if the rolling radius is kept the same. IE. the 16" wheels should have 205/45 section tyres. These will give the same rolling radius as the fitment a set of 13" wheels on the 185/70/13 I think

rr for the 16" with the above profile is 295.45mm

rr for the 13" with the above profile is 294.6mm

which will also give a difference of about .2 mph at 70.

I would defnitely agree on the tyre front. I have concrete donuts on my car (michelin MXT's). Last forever (well 25,000 miles probably) but gibe very poor dry and wet weather grip. Will certainly be switching to A021R's after driving a friends car. these give both good grip and feel

I completely agree with the tyre comment. I owned a 2001 academy car for a short period of time. My 1.6k roadsport is no different except for the tyres.However I'd stick with the crap tyres for a few weeks just to get a feel for the handling. once you put some proper tyres on you need to be going a lot quicker to explore the limits.

If you want to race the keep it as it is. If you don't and you want more power this can be achived I am told that to up it to 170bhp is great for trackdays and still good on the road.

This will be a great track day car, the only down side would be that you would not be able to sell it on as an academy car if you change it at all.

The passenger seat is not adjustable, its only the drivers seat that is ament to be adjustable..