Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedal adjustment for a short-ass

MikeE

I'm due to pickup my new (to me) Superlight from Caterham this Saturday. On the test drive I had difficulty using the throttle without catching the brake pedal as well. Also my girl friends on the short side (5'2") so couldn't reach the pedals safely.

Can anyone give me some advice regards the above two problems?

Mike.

The pedals are adjustable - there are three positions for each pedal, so it should be possible to have the pedals set closer to you. Ask Caterham to set them further back before you go to pick it up.

The pedal box in a seven is very narrow, most people just find a pair of narrow shoes or race boots that allow them to drive without catching the brake pedal.

Miraz

Caterham adjusted my pedals when I picked the car up, to fit so to speak, didn't take long, concur with miraz comment - buy some pointy shoes

Miraz - I take it the dymags need the wing stays with the cut out in them?

There are 3 hinge points for the pedals and I being a short-a**e too have them set on the rearmost setting. However, they are adjustable quite a bit on each hinge point. I have had 3 sevens now and always end up spending weeks tweaking the pedals until I have got them jsut how I like them. I've just made a new (foam) seat and am still in the process of making adjustments to get them to my liking.

M

Forgot to mention - ask Caterham nicely and in advance and they might adjust the pedals to your liking when you pick the car up. They tend to be busy on Saturdays with limited technical help so you might stand a better chance if you could pick it up on another day.

M

Just for the record (if you can't get Caterham to do it for you on the day), adjust as follows (others feel free to chip in with other suggestions):

Position your seat so that you are the correct / preferred distance from steering wheel, gearstick etc.

Move the clutch pedal so you can get full travel - this can be a combination of changing the mounting position to being closer to you and by adjusting the bolt at the front of the pedal box.

Move the brake pedal in a similar manner until the brake and clutch are in line when not being used.

(Now for the tricky bit): Pushing the brake pedal down as if for hard braking, get the throttle pedal moved (again through a combination of mounting hole for the pivot, and the thread at the end of the throttle cable)such that it's level with the fully depressed brake, so allowing Heel and Toe. This is where girlfriends get their first easy introduction to Caterhams. Check out here for a very in-depth discussion smile.gif

You can also check out here for some thoughts on foot attire.

Dan.