Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DIY Foam Seats

mav

Wear a wetsuit.

NO I am not taking the piss - the heat generated can be uncomfortable and it would give a consistent wrinkle free mould of your (pert??!!) body. You can then cut up some old mouse mats to pad out any spaces afterwards.

Spoke to a guy at LeMans several years ago who regretted his first attempt cos he had tried to lift imself off the floor a little and had ended up with an S-Type amount of foam under him.

Logic would suggest base first with a small cussion behind your back - thought about this lots but not taken the plunge - would be interested in seeing the finished product.

Nick

We have just made one for my car . We made the base first using a false back support made from polystyrene packing material sections .

Make a false seat first using the packing sections to determine your seating position , then do the base . trim off the rear of the base and then do the back section .

Make sure you warm the 2 pack first , and try and warm the ally of the car a little as this takes a lot of heat out of the exothermic reaction resulting in a very soild foam .

We found the foam expanded at a controlled rate allowing some arse tweeking in situ if you know what I mean wink.gif

I wouldnt like to try it using everyday binliners , as these easily tear and could result in disaster . Try and find some thicker tear proof , yet flexible bags at least 4 foot long .

the heat given off is warm but not uncomfortable , I wore a boiler suit , to allow for any incidents and to fit the same as my race suit .

I'm very pleased with the finished result for a first attempt , all I now need is to get some nomex material from Stoneleigh show to cover it .

The comfort is great on the road surprisingly , and the support and feel on the track is fantastic , allowing you to focus on driving the car rather than bracing yourself and clinging onto the steering wheel .

Dave

I asked this a while back - a search should reveal plenty of good advice.

I made the base first.

One good bit of advice was using a piece of foam cut from one of those camping mats to pad the floor at the base of your spine. Also all the comments about mess/heat etc are true.

I also used extra heavy duty bin bags.

A patient assistant is needed. My girlfriend got thouroughly fed up of the whole procedure and added to the expense by needing to be taken out to dinner as thanks. Apparently is more of a pain than bleeding the brakes.

The one thing I didn't think about when moulding mine was the visibility from the new lower driving position. I concentrated on getting conmfortable, reaching pedals and controls and getting my head well below the rollbar height.

The end result was a view through the mirror of the rollbar diagonal and compromised visibility through the sidescreens (i.e too far back).

I will have another go sometime, but will probably just do a base to go with the backrest of the normal seat - which is back in the car now.

Good luck!

Jonathan

Well I thought it was funny Mav teeth.gif.

I'd have thought getting the base right first would be best as the angle of your arse is key. Then do the back bit after.

Have you had a wander down to DT? There are some very good, ready made race seats out there that might be a lot less hassle and I'm sure you can try them out. They'll be more expensive than the cheaper foam but the price of the Indi seat foam made my eyes water!

I will be purchasing the standard 'mis foam pack' from my local motorsport vendor.

That's if i can't find a seat that lets me sit low enough in the car to conform to the roll bar / driver head height regulations.

Thanks to you all for the constructive comments and the rest of you (who know me) be sure to be at least a sticks length away next time i see you wink.gif