Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Impact wench...

Gridgway

Decided I need a re-chargeable torque wench. Just not sure how big a one to buy. Going to use it mainly on wheels on Caterham and Radical. How were the bulk-buy ones?

Thanks

GRaham

Edited by - gridgway on 7 Jun 2007 22:50:50

See ready2race website. Got a Clarke one at a good price, probably also get from machine mart.

I have a Sealy one - more expensive but very useful. Can even do the rear wheel bearing nuts.

Barry

Graham

I bought the DeWalt heavy duty cordless - its quite pricey but really nicely made, withstanding the usual getting bashed around in the garage / paddock, comes with 2 batteries and battery life and torque have been good *thumbup*

I used to have a 12v one that ran of the battery that could undo just about anything, I've now got the cordless one from the bulk buy and it's fine for doing up the but you need to crack the nuts initally before undoing them.

Talking to a few other people it seems unless you spend serious money (£150-200+) you're unlikely to get on that will do the job but I could be wrong.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Thanks all for the tips. I'll cycle the batts a few times and see what happens. I'm happy to start and finish the job by hand (!) and use the wench for spin the nuts!

Is there any way of discharging them without just holding the trigger down.

Graham

I thought I had issues with mine not undoing the wheel nuts (55lb/fts). Changed the socket for a proper impact socket and now it works a treat.

I've also cycled the batteries about 3 or 4 times too...

I have a Hitachi impact wrench - vey powerful and hard wearing - I've dropped it out of 1st floor windows - left it in the rain - abused it for 3 years window fitting and other than it's scruffy appearence is as good as the day I first used it - unlike similar dewalt products - the tools are fine- not as tough (break in the 1st story test) and the batteries are not so good don't hold much charge after 2 years and far heavier.

The Hitachi is more though at £200 (comes witha drilling chuck and 2 batteries and charger and impact socket set)