Click here if you are having website access problems ×

live axle front suspension

lowlander

The front suspension on my long cockpit live axle car has about three degrees of negative camber on both sides. Is there any way to adjust this? I'm looking to get new tyres (soft and grippy) and don't want to write them off within a few hundred miles through uneven wear on the front

Cheers.

Martin.

I think the only way to change this, is to get an adjust top link.

A lot of the guys have fitted the de-dion adj top wishbone and rollbar. Only thing to remember, is you have to fit a different rod end to the link (avail from motor factors) as the taper on the d-d rod end is different to the taper on the uprights with trunnions.

3 degs seems a lot, I run 1.5 degs on my live axle!

That does sound like a lot but search the archives because this has been discussed before and I'm sure someone has already mentioned the expected camber for this setup.

What variation of the wishbones do you have? Do you have just a single top link with the roll bar playing the part of the second top link, or do you have two top links so the roll bar only acts as a roll bar?

The reason I ask is because the latter setup requires lower wishbones that give increased negative camber over the earlier setup that only used the single top link. However, I still can't remember the exact settings in either case.

In any case, if you have either of these setups there is no camber adjustment unless you have something else (like an adjustable top link). If 3 degrees negative turns out to be incorrect, it might imply either a non-standard setup or something bent.

Sorry I can't be more precise.

Anthony