Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZETEC OIL QUESTION

Hot Shot Sales

This has been a hot contentious topic, just use what your engine runs quietly on. For me 5/30 synthetic is the only oil to prevent the tappets 'ticking' especially after I've given the engine some beans - shall we say 😬 😬

Thank you for your replies however I am still a bit confused, I have now got hold of a Haynes Mondeo manual and this confirms what you both (not Se7en-Up!) say in that you should use 5/30.

The problem is that the Mondeo engine is a SILVER TOP and mine is a BLACK TOP (from the Focus I believe) . i.e. it has solid lifters so would you still use the same oil?

I rang the company I bought the engine from and they say use 10/40 semi synthetic??? So now I am really confused *confused*

Rick

I rang the company I bought the engine from and they say use 10/40 semi synthetic???

There's your answer!

And if you get any oil related problems you can take it straight back to them.

If you put something different in the engine (not Crisp and dry 😬) and get problems, the engine supplier will just tell you to change to his recommended grade.

He has a huge amount of experience when it comes to building Zetecs and has supplied hundreds of them.

He wouldn't recommend an oil that would prove to be detrimental to your new engine would he?

Also with regards to the Haynes Mondeo manual, bear in mind, you engine will see a different usage pattern to one living under the bonnet of a Ford Focus or a Mondeo.

It will have less weight to pull around and will not be as "choked" when it comes to the inlet and exhaust. This will mean it will rev more easily and as a result will spend more time at higher revs.

Edited by - Se7en-Up! on 6 Jun 2007 09:12:49

I'm sure Se7en-Up was making an educated guess there as, indeed, was I having read your post. *wink* Can you tell us who it was then?

Did it begin with 'R' and end with 'e'? *wink*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Surprise, surprise, I've been watching this thread with interest and lo and behold a new one comes into the mix, 5W20 *confused* Now, is that semi or fully synthetic? Do we go for the diesel variant or not?

Hot Shot Sales, MOST people are divided between fully synthetic 5/30 and semi 10/40, you pays your money...

Quand on est au jeu, on'n'est JAMAIS seul

On my old Zetec 'silver top' I always used Mobil 0w-40 fully synthetic with no rattly tappets apart from the new one which failed prematurely. Personally, I would always use fully synthetic in a modern engine and do remember that as Se7en-Up has said, the type of use it gets in a 7 is very different to the use it gets in a Mondeo or Focus.

Brent

R 417.39 😬

I would always use fully synthetic in a modern engine

Brent Chiswick, what you say contradicts the advice given by two engine builders I have spoken to. I rang a Mr Chris Smith @ Raceline yesterday and he confirms what Se7en-Up said, and that they would only recommend 10/40 Semi Synthetic oil for both Silver and Black top engines when used in a 7 type environment, i.e. hard driving high revving use but with regular oil changes.

Regards,

Confused of Bristol *confused* *confused* *confused*

Don't be confused, it's a matter of personal choice. I know very well what Chris and Peter at Raceline recommend and you won't go far wrong by taking their advice. *thumbup*

Personally I prefer the additional protection I feel fully synthetic affords me. It is more expensive but it just make me feel happier to have it. *cool*

My comments about type of use were referring to the remark about 5w-20 as gleaned from a car in a Ford showroom, not about the recommendations from Raceline or Tiger Cars.

Hope that explains it. *thumbup*

Brent

R 417.39 😬

I have been supplying oil for about 15 years and I am still learning about it and its applications. I will not go into detail but I would like to back up Brent's recommendation for a fully synthetic over a semi synthetic oil.

What ever you have been recommended by what ever expert, get the fully synthetic version of it as it will not need as many additives to keep it in grade so it will have less product to brake down and it will far out perform the semi through to the recommended drain/service interval.

The problem maybe finding the fully synthetic version of a certain grade off the shelf.

A 10w/40 for example, so why not UPGRADE to a 5w/40 fully synthetic or better still

Mobil 1 0w/40 fully synthetic.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR