Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shocks

Nick

Any recommendations for shocks? I have the standard Bilsteins on my 1.6K SS, 23000 miles, 2 years old (in case that helps!) and have wondered about changing them.

I've heard the race Bilsteins that Caterham supply are of better quality but also stiffer - but I'm happy with the ride as it is.

Has anyone any pearly words please?

Thanks,

Nick

If they're only 2 years old and not leaking then I'd say don't change them, unless you want to burn money on some adjustability. James Whiting sells Leda dampers for pre-96 De Dions, not sure why the front damper fitting would be different post-96 (the mounting point on the DD tube changed so I guess the later rears are longer?). £115.00 a corner plus vat, adjustable for bump & rebound, fully rebuildable.

Prices on Caterham CD are 90+vat a corner(96.5 onwards, includes spring) for the standard Bilsteins.

Another source worth looking at is Nitron (www.nitron.co.uk) - fully rebuildable ali bodied adjustables at 125 a corner (probably plus VAT). If I had some money burning a hole in my pocket I'd like to try some of these, if only to find out what difference playing with the damper rates has.

Mike

Thanks Mike. There isn't a hot bundle of cash burning its way my through my trousers I'm afraid! It's just an idle whim based on Magnus Laird's comments at Hyperion - that the standards aren't wonderful and had I considered changing, etc. They have previously declined my offers of cash, so I don't think he was trying it on.

Try Eibach not cheap but the best.

I fitted these to my car this year and it has transformed it,I also fitted Eibach springs which are manufactured to a very high spec.

(These springs are currentley fitted to the 340R).

try Steve Parker if you want upgrade to hillclimb spec,or fast road (spax)at 01279 647261. The make of any shocks is not importent,but the expieriennce of working with a single make of shocks give you the advantage to now how the internal rating of the shocks must be,not depending on the price of the shocks.

Kevin, bearing Elie's comments in mind, where did you get your Eibach's from, and what model are they - internals, etc? What shocks did you have before? Another question, in what way has your car been transformed?

If I do change, either now or in the future, I am not necessarily after more speed, ie stiffer springs, as I like the current compliant ride, and enjoy myself at trackdays.

Thanks, Nick

I went to see Duncan Fraser at Eibach Suspension Technology,He gave me a tour of there workshops etc,Eibach produce very high spec dampers and springs,yes they are expensive but quality high spec materials and expert's dont come cheap. Did you know that standard production dampers have very high tolerances in some cases up to 30% difference.

I went for a complete set of dampers all round with the uprated springs also I widetracked my car and fitted a 5/8 front anti roll bar and a 1/2 inch rear anti roll bar.(the dampers have integrated adj spring seats).

The car was totally standard before the mods.

the difference is beyond belief the car is more responsive,very well damped and very progressive inspiring confidence the ride is harder than standard.

I have yet to get the car set up on a flat floor and get the corner weights checked and set up.

ALSO once you have these dampers they can be rebuilt, revalved, have adj fitted for bump and rebound etc etc.

Considering the seven is a very light car I belive the following is very important.

Low friction/Stiction,By minimising the dampers internal sliding friction/stiction and by the use of HIGH QUALITY sperical bearings a better control of the overall damping characteristic is achieved.

Low internal damping characteristics is particlary important for low sprung mass.

low static friction leads to a good initial response without excessive movement which can occour when a higher static friction has to be overcome.

The dampers have various special coatings derived from the aerospace industry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My car is fitted with Spax, which I have used on my elan in the past. I have always been happy with them. Are they going out of style. Is thier company not good anymore, since nobody recommended them. All the others I will look into, Just wondering what about Spax?

Richard

Richard Gibson

It seems there is more than one type of 'standard' Bilstein shock. Apparently the fronts used to be short but are now long, with the longer versions only working properly with widetrack suspension.

Needless to say, I have the 'narrowtrack' and long shocks, with the result that there is very little travel in the springs so that, until a flat floor setup recently, the car was resting on the bump stops... I have had the car raised which must be a first! But it does now have some spring travel.

Edited by - Nick on 18 Aug 2000 08:04:04