Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake pads

lowlander

i don't think so.. but interestingly i was just going to post a similar thread..

green stuff or mintex ?

i tried the archives but couldn't get a good answer. i think caterham get some other pads and fit them. not sure though.

j

Got Greenstuff fitted when front calipers fixed 2 weeks ago. Can't say they make a vast difference, but the feel is very progressive. The mintex gave an earlier "bite" but locked sooner. Need more pressure with greenstuff, but easier to keep on the lock/not locked threshold. Some bad things about using them on track days, pads cracking etc, we shall see in July !

I've a few 1000 track miles (plus a whole load more on the road) with this set of GreenStuff and they have been no bother at all.

They prefer to be warm, so I just ride the brakes for a few moments, then stamp on them once or twice, then they're pretty much there. They get better when even warmer, but for the road, they are fine.

They do make a mess of your front wheels though.

If you read the mags, you'll see they change the formulation of Green Stuff and Red Stuff very frequently. However, all I can say, after using original Greenstuff on trackdays on standard front discs...is don't. They overheat and crack (interestingly on just one side of each caliper).... and my mate had exactly the same problem on his car. From what I've heard they're ok on big vented brakes which must run cooler, but my guess is standard rear discs would be a total disaster (IMHO any old crap can be used in them anyway). I'm going to try Redstuff this year, but to be honest there are lots of proven pads already, and probably the only advantage Redstuff might have is they're cheap

Paul

Paul

I'd like to confirm the absolute uselessness of brand new disks. They don't seem to work at all until you've bedded them in. I couldn't give an accurate figure for how long this takes but I reckon 30 miles of twisty roads (i.e. plenty of braking) should do the trick.

I reckon the Mintex 1144 pads (which I guess is what Caterham are fitting) aren't all that good for the road. Or, put another way, I don't really like them for the road. They work much better when hot and the way I drive doesn't get them hot enough. I'd rather have brakes that liked being cold. Having said that, I like them on the track where they work pretty nicely, though I haven't got anything to compare them with.

Anthony

Caterham fit Mintex 1202's (road not race pad) as standard on the front uprated brakes,

I've just fitted 1155's for trackday use..... they need a lot of heat before they work!

I have also bought a det of Red Stuff to try although I didn't find them that cheap...... £170 a set!! the 1155's were cheaper

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 16 Apr 2002 20:21:25

Mintex too come in many flavours, M1133 is a road pad and what Caterham supplied as standard with my 4 pots (or was it M1135??), M1144 is a fast road pad, M1155 is a race pad, M1122 is a hillclimb pad. Saying Mintex pads are good / no good without specifying the particular compound is meaningless.

I run M1122 in the 4 pots and they are pretty good, work from cold, did 5 laps at Combe 2 up but then faded totally (as expected, they're meant to be hillclimb pads after all). Expect to pay £50 a set for M1122 for the fronts.

Greenstuff are pretty much identical to M1122 in this application.