Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dry sump xflow - sudden oil pressure drop

RogNeedham

• Leadership Team

on Donington track day yesterday generally going well after about 3x 20 min sessions with engine running in high rev renage 6-8k and beyond at times...my passneger suddenly points to the pressure gauge which has dropped to 20 from the usual steady 75ish.

in the paddock take the oil tank lid off and the oil seems hot - steam etc. No obvious damage to the oil cooler *confused*.

track day at Cadwell a few weeks ago - no problems at all.

I put the car on the trailer and drove 25 mins home. Starting the car to go up the drive and into the garage the pressure seemed ok again at 70ish.

The engine is all steel 1800 xflow with steel internals etc. New Mobil 1 about 1000mile ago *confused*

due to go on a big Euro road trip on 9 June so i'm a bit concerned

any ideas

• Leadership Team

Peter

I've done a search on cavitation so understand the principle. I just wonder why this would have happened at Donington but not at Cadwell in April, Oulton Park last year, or at The Ring a couple of years ago *confused*

Rog

Funny, -well not!- but mine did the same out on a hard blat yesterday.

The pressure suddenly dropped -about a Bar- right across the range.

It wasn't just the gauge, as the warning light flicked on during tickover.

Have not investigated yet, but I was going to start with the sump strainer & filter.

Will let you know....

Paul

I may be stating the obvious BUT when Synth gets hot it gets thin [it still does its job]and when it gets thin it escapes easier from journals so the pressure drops

This IMHO is what you are experiencing No big deal but if you are expecting to continually thrash and boil your oil it may be time to think about a cooler or a laminova.

Just my senile meanderings

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

I've been driving my car hard for five years now. ( 😬)

Have never had the oil light come on -even on track days.

So seem to be 'an event' of some kind -in my case. [ *cry*]

Paul

• Leadership Team

Johnty

similar comments to PAC, my car has been driven hard on Cadwell/Oulton trackdays for the last 3 years and at the Ring - I've never seen this type of pressure drop at high revs. I also have an oil cooler.

just got back from a 30 mile blat up and down the local d/carriageway and noted the following:

80mph

4k rpm

65 lb/in2

80 deg c

Peter - thx, have emailed back

Rog *thumbup*