Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec to type 9 alloy bellhousing questions

Martin S.

How much weight would I save going from my lump of iron bellhousing to an alloy one?

Will an RS2000 one fit or will it need mods?

Will I need a different clutch release arm?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Class 4 Zetec *cool*

An alloy bellhousing is my next modification too...

On Phil's website it's possible to see his BH but having not read the text i don't know if he's mentioned explicitly that you do need to cut a reasonable sized portion out of one side of the BH to cater for the footwells and the diagonals at the bottom of the engine bay. Worth knowing 'cos you'll probably need to find somebody to weld two rectangles of alloominum back in the remaining voids.

Good luck and post the results of your progress, i'm rather interested!

Pikelet 😬

Just found a previous post and it seems Quaife is the way to go, but cost is £300+ to save around 4kg's. Think I'll remove a few other bits first to cut some weight, ie. inertia belt reels, carpets. May look at an ally rad as well.

I fitted Ford magnesium bellhousing to Zetec no problem, It came with the special Clutch release arm, only part I had to make was a plate to hold/locate the clutch cable.

One piece of advice make sure all the threaded holes still have their threads *eek*, being aly they are easy to X thread and damage or overtighten the bolts and strip the thread completely. *thumbdown*

Mine saved 5.5 Kgs over the standard Cast iron bellhousing, so it's well worth fitting one for the weight saving alone *thumbup*

Cost of aly 2nd hand housing is about £75 - Magnesium ones are much harder to locate and thus more expensive - good luck *thumbup*

Oi - I don't check BC for five mins and everyone is taking the proverbial *tongue*

I had to modify the RS2000 item to clear a chassis member Piccy here of it part way through - I then added a cover over the hole with 2mm stainless with a smaller cut-out to take the rubber clutch gaiter/cover See here

Oh - and no, I didn't polish the iron one SEE!

Phil Waters