Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Toyo F3

Alex Wong1697456877

FA,

I agree. Changing class would be a sign of not being able to stand the heat in class 5. I'm sure you wouldn't have any fears of staying in class 5, would you?tongue.gif

I'm not worried about the heat in class 5 - I'm in class 4b for the Friarsgate Curborough championship (they have a totally different class system to ours) but there are only 2 people in class 4b - me and a certain Steve Davis blush.gif. Also, ACB10's are not really optimal for class 4b where big fat sprint slicks are the norm. In class 2b where they use 1a tyres, there are some 12 entries including my original nemesis, Terry Dutton. More importantly, a Caterham already holds the class 4b record (Clive Kenrick) but by some cruel twist of fate, a W*******d holds the class record in 2b and I might like to try and correct that little anomaly. Problem is that it's an exceedingly fast W*******d driven by and exceedingly fast driver, but it may be worth a shot. I've never really tried sprinting a Seven on 1a tyres so I might be crap at it but it would probably be more fun in class 2b.

It looks like it's a choice between Toyo F3's or Falken ZE502's. Shame RE720s are only available in 185/60's. My wheels are 6x13 front and 7x13 rear so I need the wider tyre for the rear. Come to think of it, I could run 205/60's at the front on the 6 inch rims as well.

It's scary stepping out of the safety of Seven club sprints!

More importantly, a Caterham already holds the class 4b record (Clive Kenrick)

Surely DK has been faster than Clive? Clive's record was set at a L7 Sprint.

Good luck in your adventures. I presume you'll be running at MIRA and will then be seduced into Loton and Shelsley?

Paul

I'm also tempted by Toyo F3's for the same reason as Alex. I used Falken ZE502's towards the end of last season, but they weren't as good as I'd hoped. One or two of the faster >1.8 boys at the WSCC sprints used F3's in 15" form, and they seemed to work well. If it all goes to plan, I'll find out how good (or bad) the Toyo's are at Shelsley Walsh on May 19th.............

RE720's are available in 205mm, but they aren't e-marked. Not having an e-mark doesn't mean that you can't use them on the road though............anyone fancy trying to explain that loophole to an eligibility scrutineerquestion.gif

Alex, I think you will find the Toyo a slight improvement of the Falken. I tested both in 185 size last year and thought it was slightly better. It has a much thicker sidewall than the Falken which seemed to squirm about a bit.

Is the Yokohama 509 still available ? That used to have a similar compound than either of these and was also available in 205/13. But its tread patterm was more suited to a drive axle, so might have offered an improvement