Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lightened flywheel for 1.6 K engine EU2 1997

Pierre Gillet

A mate needs some help to identify the lightened flywheels that would fit a Rover 1997 1.6K EU2 engine.

I recall that Caterham Cars used to offer a mildly lightened flywheel. Is it still available from them ?

Is the VHPD engine flywheel lighter ? Would it fit a 1.6 K ? He figures that it would be less expensive than the R500 engine one. Is he correct ?

My mate would be ready to buy a used one if he can find one in good condition.

Otherwise he is contemplating lightening the standard flywheel by about one kg.

Any recommendations please ?

Pierre

Edited by - pierre gillet on 27 May 2007 20:33:33

Thanks guys. 😶‍🌫️

Is the R500 flywheel the one described as Flywheel Assembly - Standard - All Rover - 1998 onwards £120.00 £141.00 in their on-line shop ?

Would it fit a 1997 motor?

Cheers,

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 28 May 2007 07:10:11

Can't find a price for the R500 flywheel, but QED do an ultralight (with choice of 5.5 or 7.5 inch clutch) for £225 - probably +vat for normal Rover K sereis applications.

These don't fit the Caterham though. Look *arrowdown*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Edited by - CageyH on 28 May 2007 08:06:30

Pierre,

A friend who isn't a club member has a brand new one that he's never going to fit and he's willing to sell for £200 plus carriage if you don't collect it, if you're interested drop me a blatmail, otherwise I'll be putting up a for sale ad for him soon.

Little Bob,

I have a QED steel lightweight flywheel, plus the mating 7.25" AP multi plate clutch, if you are interested.

Whatever you go for, will still require “engine out” to fit!

The noticeable difference is faster engine pick-up and greater engine braking.

I would urge anyone reading this not to consider lightening the standard cast flywheel. Words like hand grenade and legs spring to mind... let face it, there is not much on a Seven to protect your limbs if the flywheel disintegrated!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Hi John - just idle thoughts really due to being grounded by the weather...

Pretty sure my car is an Engine out virgin, so I would probably wait until something happens which means it has to come out and then go for a raft of upgrades.

Besides, as a mechanical numpty I wouldn't know where to start.

Sounds like me..

I've just had a lightened flywheel (also EU2/1.6k) fitted and got Dave Andrews to work a little magic on the engine at the same time. As you say, if it's coming out, you might as well get everything done so it doesn't have to come out twice. I'd never taken the engine out before either, if that's any comfort, nor do I have much in the way of engineering skills beyond what I've picked up from playing with the 7 and the Westfield. It wasn't too stressful, but just remember to write down everything as you go along.

I got the engine back in to the car last night, but it'll be a while before it's all connected up and ready to go, so I can't tell you what effect the lightened flywheel had. I think that i've got the old SLR flywheel in there now, rather than the full-bore R500 jobby.

stephen

Hi Bob. I had what is advertised on DVA's website as 'K15' which is a head port but retaining my existing SS cams (I had previously had verniers and 52mm TB fitted). I umm'ed and ahh'ed over Throttle Bodies and Emerald, but I just don't think that a big bhp 7 is for me. At the same time Dave did the relevant head and sump gasket mods, got rid of the crispy sump foam and then seems to have done zillions of little improvements - higher strength bearing bolts, chopped down the exhaust studs, and so on and so on. He also arranged for my new flywheel to be balanced with the clutch and generally gave everything a good look over and checked bearings and liner heights and all that clever stuff. My engine had been previously raced for a season or two and the engine was sealed when I got it, so I thought it might be time to have someone give it the once over. Thankfully it all seemed in excellent nick, so we didn't need anything else replacing.

Now I just need to work out how to put all the plumbing and wiring back together again......

stephen