Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Six speed, a box of spanners

Caesar

Just taken my CSR to France for "shakedown". It only has 1,000 miles and there are some issues still to sort.

But, the gearbox sounds like a tin box of spanners especially in second and third and on an overrun when torque is off.

Oh, and if I coast down a slight hill at about 10mph there is a regular 'clonking' that sounds like the rear UJ on the propshaft.

Is it just mine?

CoSwoRth it!

TADTS. Earplugs often help. I remember about 9 years ago someone was complaining about the 6 speed. I went out as a passenger in his car & his box was quieter!

Get underneath though & check everything is done up as it should be. Make sure the box is centred in the tunnel & not knocking/touching the tunnel on one side. Make sure there's some oil in the box as well. Redline MTL is often favoured.

First box wipped out at Millwoods and new one loaded. No difference at all so lost the car for 3 months to CC. Have you the revised flywheel? I understand that there is a vibration that causes the Rusty Nails effect. Mine still does it and the noise on over-run especially when everything is hot. Do you have the new dash? Have you had the extra heat protectoin fitted? Had new cat's tongue fitted by CC with holes in to allow more air into the engine compartment. Afraid little difference. Does your driver's side carpet have the fall-off effect after a hot run. Found some glue at Demon Tw. made for hot things (non techo speaking here) so might buy some for the Le Mans trip. Bit of a pi$$er keep having to move the carpet to change gear!!.

Thanks!

Mick, box is centered and not touching. it does have oil(!) but i doubt if I stuck a couple of pounds of butter it would make any difference!

sonicsaab, I have new dash but I insulated all around the g/box area and then covered the insulation with aluminium sheet before fitting so heat build up is not that much of a problem. (I also cut away half of the plate where the gearbox nose ends and the propshaft goes through thus letting the hot air out. Also, removed plate under propshaft for same reason).

So far carpet is where it is meant to be!

But box sounds terrible!! Mechanical things are not meant to sound like that!!

CoSwoRth it!

Interesting about cutting a hole to let the air out. Have said to CC that surely if you box something in it retains heat. But they seem not to agree!!! Something about rigidity! The sweeping tubes from the dash down to the handbrake, especialy around the gear knob, gets really hot and eventually transfers to the handbrake itself which makes it nigh impossible to rest my arm on it. Being short I have to have the seat as far forward as possible. Have you had the new spacers for the diff? Got them in the post as it seems they cannot take the torque. Mentioned how hot the gearbox appeared to get and CC say no problem they have tested it in 40c in Spain in racers. Expect they get a service after every race not for road car users! They are stumped as to solving the heat problem. Great when we have spent all this money!

Stuart