Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Good Fat Tyres for the Wet,

EFA

I'd like some input on the best road legal tyre for damp/wet conditions (no standing water).

Need to consider CR500's, A032R's or other Yoko's, ACB10's (??) or anything else on a 13" rim.

Cost within reason is not a factor in the decision, the key factor is grip and traction at low speeds (i.e. accelerating out of slow corners)

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Shame about the road legal bit as good and fat and wet don't really mix.

On 021's I found the wider I went the worse the wet handling

was. 032's are ok in damp but I found them worse in the real wet.

If Avon did an ACB10 'wet' version you might have found something.

I've spent the winter running on Yoko 32's and CR500's - when the road is wet the CR500's definately have the upper hand. If there is any standing water then the CR500 is massively better, in the dry there isn't all that much between them.

I've heard an unsubstantiated rumour that CR500 run better using the X-ply camber settings, which might prove useful if you are also using ACB-10's.

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 14 Apr 2002 12:40:19

According to George Polley 032R SS are significantly better in the wet than the S compound but the wear rate is horrendous. The other possibility is the new 041R which is not availiable yet in the UK in Caterham sizes however Lotus apparently have a batch for testing at ?Hethel. The word is these are V.V.Good.

I am now using 32R'SS on a tarmac rally car for wet and dry having spoken to George Polley, these are fantastic in all but standing water due to the heat tou can get into them in a very short time the wear rate is not so good but it does depend on what you will use them for if it is for the road then I might go with just the 32 S (you can go as quick on these in the damp as you can 21's) but if it's for road legal wet sprint tyres then it has to be 032 SS there are the muts nuts.

Keith

Going to Le-mans in comfort but not style.

Running ACB10s and swapping to A032s/AO21s in the wet will require a setup change due to the differences in crossply and radial construction.

No mention of Avon Formula Wets (if they're legal in the series)?

Graeme.

graeme finlayson / tyre warmer / fluke motorsport

graeme.finlayson@vicorp.com / www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk

Barbados Rally Carnival Experience

Graeme et al,

You lot seem mighty confused here.

These tyres are for the road, not any form of competition!

Remember I have not entered Curborough as it sold out and as a consequence I have not made any effort to get a competition licence.

I shall however be going just to drive 2 laps and get NTL its £3000 as defined in the Curborough thread.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - fat arnie on 16 Apr 2002 12:09:22

There is NO WAY you'll just turn up to do a couple of laps. Being beaten by a lowly K is something I very much doubt you can contemplate. It would probably keep you up at nights smile.gif

And besides, there was a place reserved specially for you wasn't there?