Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticky rear brakes

Chelspeed

Just finished the winter rebuild, got the car off the stands and out of the garage for the first time. Every time I use the footbrake the rear brakes come on as normal but then stick full on. To let them off you release the bleed nipple a tad and they're completely free. If you use the handbrake (hydraulic) the brakes go on and off completely normally. I think this means it can only be a master cylinder problem.

Details are: race master cylinder, race rear brakes, race 4 pot fronts.

Anyone had this problem? Presumably something to do with the master cylinder having stood on the bench for 6 months. Should I pull it apart, clean it up and put it together again? Are rebuild kit's available? From AP or just from Caterham?

Just in case, can someone confirm that the front port, nearest the pushrod is the front brakes and the rear port, away from the pushrod is the rear brakes?

Sorted.

Took the master cylinder off to strip it and the rear wheels were still locked!!

That meant it was a hydraulic handbrake problem after all. The hydraulic handbrake worked OK alone but when the footbrake forced fluid past the handbrake cylinder it wasn't releasing. Quick shortening of the pushrod (so that the cylinder comes fully released when the handbrakes off) and it's all working OK.

Off for another trip round the block then.