Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko S306

markr

My 1.4 classic is currently suffering from under steer and I’m wondering whether the current Yoko S306’s are to blame. Can anybody recommend suitable replacements in or around the Southampton area? Also, when I had the car serviced last year at James Whiting he said the de dion tube would not take a massive amount of abuse and cautioned against a super sticky set of tyres.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

• Support Team

A few things to try would be:

1. A softer front ARB - or an adjustable one from Freestyle

2. Adjustable spring platforms and increase the rake (i.e. make the rear of the car a bit higher in relation to the front.

3. On the tyres front you could fit Yoko A048Rs and use soft compound on the front and medium at the rear but these are pretty sticky.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

James Whiting...said the de-dion tube would not take a massive amount of abuse and cautined against a super sticky set of tyres
*confused*

unless there is something wrong with it, in which case replace it *eek* otherwise can't understand what he is talking about *confused*

I'd like to get involved in this discussion and learn more about understeer and how to reduce the problem (probably me). Having taken part in the Dunsfold handling day last Saturday, it became very noticable on the slalom course that the car prefered to go straight past the cones rather than the route I'd have prefered to have taken. The car is completely standard and has Michelin Pilot tyres of some 10 years old. A great tyre if you want negligable wear combined with poor road holding.

Now, I'd expect this sort of behavour from a car with 2 tons of pig iron in the front, but with the lightweight K series it seems a little excessive to me.

Simple question, but I expect the answers are likely to be more complicated: what factors effect understeer and what can be done to reduce it ?

ChrisL

ChrisL - the tyres, the tyres and the tyres. I didn't know anyone was still using the Pilots. Thought that they'd been converted to playground flooring !

There's lots of stuff in archives about understeer and ways to combat it - though the comments just above in this thread give you some good ideas on where to start.

Dave

Tony, judging by the limited amount of wear in the past ten years, they'll outlive me for sure.

Dave, could it be the tyres then ? ha ha.

Seriously, I'll get some new rubber for starters.

Thanks for your inputs

ChrisL

You weren't trying 😬 I don't remember any problems with understeer that day. Power oversteer, that I remember *smokin*

I still reckon Pilots are the ideal trackday tyre - loads of fun, no need to worry about cornering G causing oil starvation - but still enough grip to overtake the slower drivers, drive like a hooligan non-stop and still drive home on them *thumbup* (Assuming you drive home in the dry...)

Fatalism means never having to wonder if it's safe to overtake *eek*

Michelin Pilots are the ideal tyre for the Dunsfold slalom. That's what I had the first year and I may have had more fun than last week end with my yoko 21's. I wish I had kept a set of pilots for Dunsfold

On the road it is another story and I swear to you that if you switch to something like yoko A021's (a good road tyre less extreme than the 48's) it will feel like having a new car : more grip obviously but also more front end bite when you "attack" the corners (so you could say that it feels less understeery) and crucially much, much better under braking.

I don't know Yoko S306 but I suspect these are a normal tin-top tyre i.e good on a tin top inadequate on a 7.

Edited by - Miura on 23 May 2007 11:21:22