Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A totally new thread on a subject you'll never have seen on here before....

Unclefester

Tyres!!!!!! 😬

Sorry, I know it's been asked before, just wanted to know the state of play on the best choice for road/some track.....are AO38s reckoned to be better than Bridgestones?

What are these R500s?

Anyone know about Yokohama AO21s What, in fact, do the numbers relate to on the Yokos?

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Thank you for this slather of sagacity, all.....

I merely wondered if, as I suspect, the numbers on Yokos relate to the compound softness or otherwise, and if so, which are softer/stickier than what?

Excuse me for breathing and all..... *smile*

Dave, AO38s are a sort of Yokohama seen gracing the wheels of Lotus Elises in France at least.

Don't they come in Seven sizes?

I know nothing about these 'ere modern tyres....in Maxi Mille I used Avon race tyres, then we were all told we had to use Falkens or some such thing.

Our Twinkerbelle has Yoko AO21s and they seem pretty ok on trackdays.

I wondered if AO38s are stickier or not?

CR500 yes that's what I meant!

Edited by - Unclefester on 22 May 2007 08:15:11

Edited by - Unclefester on 22 May 2007 08:15:53

Dave....The A038's are these here as fitted to the 340R Lotus!

Never seen them for sale, but at Brands, the 340R wearing them was cornering no quicker than my seven on A048's in Medium compound!

I don't think the numbers for Yoko's relate at all to the compounds, just model numbers. Yoko's are also available in varying compouns for the 048's at lease, medium and soft are the usual ones, soft being similar to the old 32r's in Supersoft Compound.

I find the Yoko's as good as CR500's generally and significantly cheaper!

Dannyboy *tongue*

• Support Team

If A021Rs are OK on a track day then you're not trying very hard *tongue*. They normally go off after a few laps and wear very quickly in the dry - they do however make an excellent wet trackday tyre and a pretty good road tyre.

Yokohama A048Rs are a much better dry track tyre and are OK in the wet as long as there isn't too much standing water. They tramline quite a bit on the road.

CR500s are, in my opinion, the best road and multipurpose tyre for a seven. They are significantly lighter than any of the Yokos, the ride is better and they don't tramline. Ultimately they are not as grippy on track in the dry as the A048R but perform reasonably well on a wet track they also seem to last longer than the Yokos which makes up a bit for their higher price.

I have not tried Toyo R888s which on the face of it seem a direct competitor for the Yoko A048R but others rate them possibly higher than the Yoko.

As Danny says, some tyres are available in different compounds but, of the ones mentioned above, it only applies to only A048Rs which come in Medium and Soft. some people run medium rears and soft fronts but soft all round probably wouldn't last long. Toyo are bringing out a soft R888 this month.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 22 May 2007 08:32:44

*thumbup* *arrowup* I wasn't trying "too" hard, as I'm trying to keep the car in one piece as it's for sale........ *tongue*

I'd already had an embarrassing moment the day before when we ended up half in the ditch.....balancing on the edge, with no damage at all, luckily.

I wasn't doing more than 6 laps at a time as I had a bit of a coolant leak, so didn't notice any going off of the tyres.

Goodyear ditch hoppers? Not suited to a 7 IMHO. On an Elise, I have no experience.

Were they not fitted with Yoko A048's?

Fester, yokos come in different compounds in the same model.

The number just refers to the tread pattern/model of tyre.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!