Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clutch cable dislodging

Robin C

On my way home this evening my clutch went - first thoughts it had snapped but closer inspection showed it had dislodged itself at the clutch end. This connection seems very loose to me in that if you lift the clutch pedal the cable can go slack and slip out of the clutch release fork. I notice my "old" build manual (1999) shows a diagram for a ford bellhousing with a grommet in the circular part of the keyhole slot - has any one else experienced this on a 6 speed. Have I fitted the cable wrongly?

Any ideas as to how to ensure it doesn't happen again or shoult I go for the ford style grommet?

Cheers.

There seems to be a "half way in" position that the cable nipple gets stuck in unless you push all the nipple clear through the keyhole. There are grommetless ways of fitting it that prevent this happening. Do you have a spring in the pedal box keeping light pressure on the pedal end of the cable? It might be that the cable inner is starting to stick in the outer which allows slack to build up. A new cable can be a good precaution. Check the pedal box end of the cable - if the cable has worn away a groove in the end fitting then it can cause this.