Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow oil breather

McBreadhead

I'm experiencing excessive oil loss from my xflow and have noticed the crankcase breather 'breathes' to the road. I understand some cars vent like this but wonder if this is connected to high consumption of circa 2 litres per 400m. There's no tap off in the rocker cover to suggest any location for return - what do other xflowers have? Is there a catch tank that returns oil to thew engine somehow?

Mine has a 1 litre plastic container mounted on against the passenger bulkhead. I've routed the breather pipe upwards (clipped it to the oil stick bracket) and then across. By going upwards it seems to stop most oil loss.

Picture here

If you're still getting loss, then it could be worn pistons. You could try a compression test (you can buy the tool from Halfords) to check whether this is an issue.

David

1700XF: click here

Theres a breather bottle kit available from CC.

When I bought my XF SS last month the bottle was quite full and oil had blown around the engine bay. I was a bit alarmed and keep a close watch on levels and found that

after a 200 mile trip yesterday oil loss - to the bottle - was negligable.

Im fitting a new "bottom vented" bottle in the hope this reduces the smell of oil

and a recent thread on blatchat suggested stuff coming out the breather might be carcogenic.

what do other xflowers have? Is there a catch tank that returns oil to thew engine somehow?

Best bet is Roger King's breather mod. Have a look here

It works a treat. I don't get any oil in my catch tank now.

prisoner 43 C12 KAR - OCTANE magazine photoshoot for article on prisoner edition 7 here

I use (d) the RK method aswell to good effect.

Though you might be surprised how much the little aluminium fittings are from Ford (and ISTR that they're on special order now as no longer used on a current car).

Is / was the rocker cover that you got with the engine not already drilled and tapped with two holes ?

Dave

X-flow(er) power now resting. Trying Vx for a change.