Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aeroscreens

c831gkl

Havign whipped the windscreen off at the weekend I'm sold on the idea and as such want to add an aeroscreen of some sort, but leave myself the option of refitting the windscreen for the winter months.

My first preference is to get a JPE screen, can anyone advise how this fits, I'm guessing that any screw/bolt holes would be covered when I refitted the windscreen.

Other option is Brooklands screens on a stancion, this appears to fit in exactly the same way as the windscreen so no extra holes to worry about.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be gratefully welcomed.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

I fitted Brooklands some time ago, and, while the stantion does fit the same as the windscreen, I didn't think it was man enough to take the Brooklands screens on its own. I have attached mine through the stantion and the top of the body, so it takes a little longer to remove/refit, but does fell safer. To do this be careful, the stantion is not exactly the same shape as the botttom of the windscreen, so you need to check where the holes will appear to make sure they will be covered when (if) you refit the big see through air brake.

You don't have to have the stantion - it is possible to fix directly to the chassis bar that runs behind the dash - but the holes would show with the original screen back on.

Kevin,

I used to have a classic with Brooklands Aeroscreens, and having been through this hoop a few years ago, from memory, I am fairly sure you will find that the ali brace that bolts on the outside of the scuttle is of a shape that means it will want to fit over the top of your windscreen wiper mounts, so this is probably a no go.

I now have a K Series that I have just installed a JPE (Black) wind deflector to with the same hope that I can come up with an easy way of swapping back to the windscreen. However, although possible there are some issues.

Firstly the wind deflector itself has five black perspex blocks glued to the bottom of it, all of which are threaded. The idea is you screw the M5 screws into it from underneath the scuttle after you have drilled your locating holes. However, the passenger side mounting is directly behind the wiper motor and there is also a mount directly above the steering column, so easily getting the screws is a problem. I came up with a bit of a bodge, and fitted an M5 peg in the passenger side perspex block and use this to simply locate the wind deflector. I have then made up three M5 bolts about 2" long with rubber sleeves on with two nuts locking against each other and left about 1/2" of thread showing so that I can screw the bolts in under the dash more easily with my thumb and forefinger. I can then tighten them easily with a stubby screwdriver. The final fitting on the driver side I have used a standard M5 screw. Incidentally my first plan was to fit threaded blocks on the underside of the scuttle a,d simply screw the wid deflector in place, but you cannot get the screws into the top side of the perspex mounting blocks without drilling access holes in the wind deflector.

I've taken it out for a motorway blast and it all stayed in place.

I hope that I've explained this ok. I am sure that other members have come up with better solutions.

If you want any more info please feel free to email me on:

andy.checkley@alphalan.demon.co.uk

Regards, Andy

Having just done this myself (with the guidance of Bill Ayre) I would recommend using the stanchion - it is strong enough. Apparently there are two types, one that covers the windscreen wiper drives and the other that sits just behind. I went for the later and it looks fine. I mounted everything on the stanchion, brookland screens and mirrors and so I have 4 bolts to undo and the two cables for the heated screen to tease out - simple. Even I can do it 30 mins. Any other info just let me know.