Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear tyre blow out?? now with pictures

rgrigsby

About two weeks ago I noticed a clean band all the way around on my rear CR500's in the exact place yours have failed. It was on the outside edge and the rubber looked like it had been cleaned while driving but only on or near those thin lines.

I'll keep a good eye on them now.

Jason

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick

The CC ad I mentioned *arrowup* was from July '05 (ok my piles deeper than I realized). In the ad it says 'INTRODUCING THE NEW AVON CR500......... Now in its fifth year, we have used the experience of the tyre gained on the road, track and in race conditions, to develop a third evolution of the product. The new specification 13" CR500 retains its Kevlar reinforced light weight of the original and continues to be hand-built on the race line, along with racing tires such as the Formula 3 slicks.....'

This is after my tires were made. Not sure if they also modified the design of the 15" tire which is what I have. I like the tires (although I haven't compared to anything else) but cannot have a set of tires that exhibit such cracks and have been known to blow out suddenly. I guess I'll send pics to Avon and see what happens. If no positive response I'll vote with my checkbook.

Anyone have a specific e-mail address that may cut through the bureacracy?

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,500 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

Cheers Richard. *thumbup* I guess anything I buy now will be the "New" ones then *tongue* 😬

Personally I think they're great! But then like you, I can't compare them with anything else. But If you're happy why something why change. But then I never had a problem with them.

If Avon are replacing them no quibbles, another good reason to stick with them.

I'd try here for contact.

Cheers again,

Mick.

Following this thread, which somehow I missed first time around, I've just been to check my rear 245x15 tyres which are off the car, waiting to be replaced with new ones as they are below the wear bars, and one of them has a fine crack all around the tyre, on the inside only, just the same as others in the picture. These tyres were bought from Caterham this time last spring, so aren't exactly old - a rather worrying development. I will contact Avon/Cooper with a picture too and see what they say, but as the tyre is worn out, I don't expect a replacement, a discount on a new pair would be nice though, as long as it doesn't happen again. 😔

Paul J.

My CSR now back with it's new and remapped Omex ECU - Hooray no more kangarooing and 268.6 bhp / 204lb-ft :-))

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 2 Apr 2009 18:51:37