Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear tyre blow out?? now with pictures

rgrigsby

Finally got around to getting my tyre back from the support truck and now I have some pictures. I've spoken to Caterham and will hopefully be dropping it back to them this week to see what they think.

As to when I checked the pressures, it was straight before I left as they were brand new tyres just fitted on the rims a few days earlier. I don't think the rim is damaged as I then did 1500+miles on the spare old tyre with the same rim over the next few days on tour.

Anyone have any thoughts on these pictures?

Tyre Pic 1

Tyre Pic 2

Tyre Pic 3

Tyre Pic 4

Tyre Pic 5

Tyre Pic 6

Tyre Pic 7

Tyre Pic 8

Tyre Pic 9

Tyre Pic 10

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 4 Jul 2007 22:14:10

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to contact avon direcly about your tyre as it my be a manufacturing fault and by going through CC you might delay avon geting the tyre back and thus their investigation.

Tweeky

In a purple haze

I would also suggest that you check your rims for runout.

Looking at the pictures it is clear that the tyre does not contact the road squarely, as the dimples are worn on one side of the tyre and not the other!!

Have you also checked the rear bearings for play as they can have a detrimental affect on the tracking of the tyre. *thumbup*

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness

Project 'X' underway

Not something stupid like a brake or bearing overheating and over-pressurising the tyre through build up of heat ? Very suspicious that two have gone on the same corner of the car in quick succession. Obviously not tyre rubbing on something under load ?

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

Hi Rob

The dulling effect in the band around the sidewall which has failed is very strange and may well suggest some form of overheating prior to the burst.

I agree with tweeky - send the tyre to Avon. They make them, Caterham make cars. You could pre-empt sending the tyre with an e-mail to Avon and to BMTR with your full set of very good photos. The chances are that someone there will know just what has happened to the tyre.

avonracing@coopertire.com

sales@bmtr.co.uk

I expect I speak for many others when I say I'm looking forward to knowing the cause as many of us use CR500s

good luck

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Peter I think the camber isn't quite right at the back hence the one sided wear pattern, it's something I need to sort out but it's never been a problem in the past other than the slightly higher wear on one side of the tyre. I used to run the car set-up for crossplys so always ended up wearing radials out strangley but this year it's actually back on the correct (1.5 degree) dedion ears so I'm not sure why it's still not right.

Stationery M25 - good point I hadn't spotted that, just been down and had a closer look it's not actually a cut just a slight defect/mark in the tyre surface. It looks like a moulding issue rather than damage as it's very clean and distinct.

As has been said I think the dulling effect on the sidewall is from where the car has run on the tyre without pressure, the thing is that could easily be the short space of time as I slowed from 70ish into a layby (maybe 60-90seconds) or it could be what led to the failure in the first place.

The failures where about 9months apart and I've covered a lot of miles in between on the same rim/tyre combo and also sprinted/hillclimbed and a few track days on a different set of rims (Barnby Mag's) with Kumho V70 tyres fitted without any problems so I think it's unlikely to be something on the car (could be wrong though).

If it was heat related I would have thought the baking hot track day at Anglesey a few weeks ago would have caused a similar problem but despite doing quite a bit of mileage everything was fine.

I'll get in touch with Avon and see what they say.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Hi All,

*idea*Had a spate of sidewall punctures on my other car, Jag X type estate, five such puntures in first three months of ownership. This was running on very low profiles on 17" rims. I live out in the sticks at the end of a load of pot holes country lanes. What lead me to the diagnosis was getting out of the car shortly after having driven through a pot hole and hearing the tyre deflating. Tyre trapped between rim and pothole = puncture. Felt it was toooo risky if this happened just before i got on the motorway!! Changed the wheels and tyres, smaller wheels, higher aspect ratio tyres, and no punctures in the last 2 years.

Not sure is grigsby is running big wheels and very low profiles, nor if he lives at the end of a very minor road as i do, but it might be the answer.

OB

I had similar failure/damage on a 3 axle car transporter I use for transporting a race car. In the space of 5 trips I had two inner tyre walls blow out which caused identical damage as your pictures. I was told that due to the age/weight/light that the central tread had started to delaminate, the pressures built up until the side walls failed. The worse one was the front as at 60mph I thought the suspension had collapsed and I was heading towards the central reservation.

I'm not sure how your tyres are constructed but I would guess at a bad batch. Is there any evidence of the tread coming away? Good luck in resolving the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Err Rob, did you get any response from Avon?

Only I've just got my 7 back from &-Indulgence and they have noted:

"Both NS tyre inner sidewalls not in good condition" and

"OSR inner sidewall in very poor condition"

When I spoke to Graham he said it looked like splits in the side walls *eek* *eek* *eek*

I'm planning to change them tomorrow before the tour, so will take some pics when they're off!

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Had a look at the 3 tyres when they came off today.

The problem is only on the inner tyre walls.

One is quite bad *eek* with multiple cracks all around the circumference, nearer to the tread than the bead.

The other two are harder to spot, and might not be easily seen when on the car unless you have it up on a lift and are looking for them ☹️

Pics are here

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Edited by - Ian B on 2 Jun 2008 22:18:16

Ian how many miles? What type of driving (all spirited driving on smooth road or track or ?). I've found nothing on my tires ( so far ) but now I'm a bit paranoid. A blow-out at speed is not something I like to think about.

Let see - fire or ice. Blowout or wheel off from too-short lugs. Choices, choices.

Sorry, had no internet today *mad*

The tyres have actually done just under 10k miles, which is good *thumbup*

They are getting close to the wear marks but not to the wear point where I would expect to change them *thumbdown*

They were bought in August 2005 and fitted immediately before the USA tour.

Mostly spirited road driving and one trackday.

What I find most bizarre is that the cracking is on the inner side walls only, and tyres on both the rear wheels, and the nearside front are affected *confused*

Quite agree Dave, I was a bit disappointed when I added up the figures 😳

The only thing I can think of to aid my defence is that I only got 135 bhp (excuses, excuses 😬)

Reply to Peter T. There was a major accident reported in Classic & Sports car last issue ISTR concerning an MG. After much investigation it was found that the owner had purchased some old tyres off E bay, which turned out to be over 20(?) years old. The tyres had been the cause of the accident. I checked mine after that and they were 6yrs old which is about the limit I believe.

• 1 year later...

My cars been on stands all winter and took the wheels off last night to inspect, clean, etc. After reading this post I checked the tires carefully and what a surprise, the inside face of the left rear tire has a couple radiating breaks in the sidewall about 3" apart.

I saw an add in LF for a new designed CR500. Does anyone know if this redesign is intended to address the issues raised here? What is the difference from an '04 tire?

I no longer feel I'm able to trust the tires enough to do highway speeds or take my kids along. *mad*

The car has nothing wearing on the sidewalls, I check pressure often (18psi) and have never used nasty chemicals on them. I also drive a bit like an old lady too often (sorry) *rolleyes*. Has anyone had Avon step up regarding this issue? If not it looks like a tire from the Rising Sun is in order.

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/9,500 mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's

Avon (Cooper Tire) replaced all mine without question when the cracks were brought to their attention ( *thumbup* for great customer service).

They didn't comment on the cause though.

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬