Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New to Sprinting

MAK

High all

I am considering getting into sprinting.

currently I have a standard 1800 k, 140 BHP.

Whats the best way to find out whats involved. vehicle/tyre specifications/classes.

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

Have a look here

If you have time pop along to the club sprint at Curborough this weekend or choose another near to you and wander round the paddock, plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people around at each meeting.

Martin

PS It can be addictive 😬

• Area Representative

Malcolm,

I agree with Martin, it can get very addictive!

There's more information here and here.

The class structure depends on the events that you plan to do. If its our own club championship events that you plan to enter, then there is no reason why a close to standard car can not be competitive.

However, I'd say that the first step is to have a go and see if you like it with the equipment you already have.

Over your first few events you're likely to find that there is more to be gained from venue knowledge, experience and commitment, than there is from a few extra bhp, or the latest, springs dampers and tyres (I've used standard springs, dampers, and brakes on my 2002 1600 RoadSport to good effect over the last couple of years!).

It's usefull if you can find someone to act as a mentor to guide you through your first event or two, that can show you the "ropes".

If you have any specific questions, feel free to Blatmail me directly.

• Support Team

If you can come to Curborough this weekend then that will give you the best possible chance to see what it is all about. Your car will most likely fall into class 2 or 3 depending on the tyres you have fitted (Avon CR500, Yoko A021R/A032R/A048R, Toyo R888 = class 3 and most normal car tyres = class 2). This year's regulations are here.

There might even be some places available for Curborough - no point in putting it off 😬.

You will need to apply for a Non-Race National B licence from the MSA. You then just need an approved race suit and helmet - details in the blue book you receive with your licence. There are a couple of minor mods to the car (and I mean really minor like a bit of yellow tape around the earth lead!). You need an FIA rollbar to take part in club events (this is not required for other series but is a sensible precaution).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 17 May 2007 08:58:22

Malcolm

Whereabouts in the country are you and I will try and find an experienced sprinter close by who is willing to help with advice etc. If you can get to one of the rounds of the championship all the better and do come and find us in the paddock *thumbup*

I look forward to seeing you competing soon its great fun *smile*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Leadership Team

Hope to see you there! As for what time it starts, it really depends how much of the "full" experience you want. ie

- it starts on Friday night if you want to pitch a tent and have a BBQ and a beer with a whole load of us if you fancy it

- Signing on and scrutineering starts at 8am

- Practice runs start at 9am

- Runs counting towards the championship start either late morning or after lunch...

Curborough is not the most spectaculatr venue that we visit, but it's a great, friemdly venue for sectators and as it's a shortish, closed track, it's good to watch at.

Regards - Michael

Founder Member - Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Mcalvert on 17 May 2007 19:52:54

Malcolm

Practice starts at 9 am but come along any time and have a chat.

I have only started this year and I've found everyone incredibly friendly and helpful. It doesn't have to be expensive, I think my prep has cost less than £200 and the suit and helmet could probably be sold at the end of the season for most of that.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Malcolm

I spoke with Stephen Herring aka Kipper today as he lives in Hatfield and he is happy to talk this over with you. He will hopefully post on here tomorrow so you can make arrangements to get in touch.

Just returned from two great days of sprinting at Curborough 😬 and I'm already looking forward to MIRA next week *thumbup*

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Malcolm

I live in Brookmans Park near Hatfield and very willing to pass on any info at all to anyone thinking about sprinting.

If you want to come along to the next Herts area meeting it will be on Wednesday 6 June at the Crooked Chimney near Lemsford, opposite Brocket Hall. A good chance to kick some tyres and meet the rest of the Herts Crowd. We usually arrive from about 8:00.

Alternatively send me a blatmail and we can arrange another time to get together.

Regards

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.