Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Scotland

Mrs Mav

Stay in The Richmond Hotel - Strathpeffer (Grubbster's sister and her fella own it). Really lovely hotel in a nice town and great people. *thumbup*

From there you're near The Great Glen, Cairngorms, Cape Wrath, John O Groats etc.... *thumbup* It's a fantastic part of the world and miles from Dundee... *tongue*

Get the train from Fort William to Mallaig, boat across to Skye just to say you've been! It's only about £7 - £8 return for foot passengers, look for dolphins, pospoises and whales (really!) on the way.

Fort George is a day out on it's own, plus colloden, Cawdor Castle etc...

Drive through Glenstrathfarrar (not on a Tuesday though) or Glen Affric - see the deer and other wildlife. The views are gorgeous.

Could go on all night... I 🥰 the place!

K16OOC - Bailey's MANGO Handbag *cool*

Webshots here

Edited by - Ash Bailey on 16 May 2007 18:54:22

Pitlochry is worth a stop, especially if you wander up to the Moulin Inn and spend an evening there. Great food and beer made over the road. Hmmm *thumbup* *smile*

A lot people miss it, but the Borders is worth a visit. Dumfries and Galloway is quiet, and to the West is interesting. So is Highland.

Ach, it's all great for Sevening *smile*

If you want to know any of my favourite drives then Blatmail me.

AJ02RAE

It's Back *wavey*

Loch Rannoch hotel is also very nice.......you can get th train from Rannoch station to Fort William

If its a driving holiday then I'd probably take a different base each night but with maybe 100 miles max per day. If you want to relax, do some walking or whatever then a single base is probably going to be best. Pitlochry isn't a bad spot for a base, quite a lot to do in the area.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Stayed for a week at Croiscrag on the south shore of Loch Ranoch - not far from the station - but 40 miles from a phone signal. Possibly one of the most beautiful and eerie places I have ever been. Even the dog would come and sleep with us.

Took the train from Loch Ranoch to Fort William then onto to Mallaig. Great sights - steam train is slower and more expensive but obviously you get the authentic steam train atmosphere. Which ever train you take you get the Harry Potter viaduct. I would imagine the road from Fort William to Mallaig would be stunning in a Seven.

Culloden was a good visit. Cairngorms stunning. Aveimore and Ft William touristy but worth sticking your head into.

Edradour Distillery near Pitlochory worth a visit - it's the smallest distillery in Scotland...next to Ross' moonshine emporium.

Really enjoyed learning about the clan histories - places like Killiecrankie (which is not about doing harm to a small woman...my wife fooled me with that one).

Roads are the best kept secret - generally seemed to be quiet with signs telling slower drivers to shove over and allow people to overtake.

General Wade built some great yet scary roads. Glen Lyon was stunning but make sure you don't break down. well worth getting off the beaten track...just make sure you know how to get back onto it again and the car doesn't mind hills, or narrow roads...or the dark.....

Was up there two years ago in the seven, so I'll go get my map. I seem to remember the road from Ft William to Skye is a hoot with scenery too and we saw a golden eagle, can't ask for more than that. Agree with Ft George as a day out and a stop near Inverness isn't a bad idea. Did drive one of the glens that runs E/W in the highlands, saw 4 cars in 2 hours. Good roads too. Skye otter hide if you want to sit quietly for a while and in the summer there's a ferry that runs to this on the south of the island. It's based on a landing craft with a hand turned car deck for 3. Last time on it the guy in the middle driving an Astra was suprised to be sandwiched between a seven and a Marcos *smile*

Anyway I'll go look at my maps and give you some more definite locations and road no.s

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K

I got a double room in the Loch Rannoch hotel for £50 a night, including breakfast *smile* That was at www.visitscotland.com. Clearly, a special discounted rate.

Caming of B&Bs would be fine - if it was me I'd probably have a mixture of B&Bs and hostels. There are some fantaskit SYHA places, such as Carbisdale Castle close to Inverness.

For midges, Avon's Skin So Soft (green bottle) is the answer. *thumbup*

AJ02RAE

It's Back *wavey*