Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rad repair

TomB

My rad has a pin prick sized leak from the bottom corner. The nose cone must have been rubbing on it for years as the paint has worm off & there is a corresponding hollow on the inside of the nose cone.

I wondered about draining the rad & blobbing on some Araldite - has anyone else any suggestions how to repair it?

Cheers

Mine did exactly the same thing ☹️

Assuming its a copper/brass radiator like mine you could try...

Taking the rad out, find a brass countersunk screw or bolt about a Nr 8 or bigger and cut the shank about 3mm from the countersink.

Make the hole big enough to take the shank and then tap the countersink into the copper very carefully so it forms a countersink in the rad.

Clean the rad and screw head and solder in it as per a plumbing job but be caerfull not to melt the other bits of the rad.

This repair is a bit better than a patch as it will cope with the compound curves on the corner of the rad.

Did mine 5 years ago and still OK. *smile*

Check the rubber bobbins as they sag and let the rad touch the nosecone

Andy (The Bodge) Doughty

Am going to call the place that pressure tested it a couple of weeks ago - hey couldnt find a leak, but I can when the engine is running!

Its 1996 old triple pass rad so Id quite like to keep it. Ill change the bobbins & maybe bend them so the rad isnt touching the nose. That assumes the repairers can mend it.