Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bangs per buck

john aston

Having had sand kicked in my face once too often I need more power for my 1.4 S/S - and go department not helped by interstellar gearing on 5 speeder.Like everyone else I know what I would like but sadly that doesnt coincide with what I can afford.The other factor is i'd like to keep the car and upgrade rather than get a new car- sentimental tosh I know but these cars are about heart not head.

So I intend to look around for a secondhand 1600 k engine and then fit the s/sport kit to it.Good idea ?Demand for selling my existing engine? P/exes ? Or should I look for 1800 k instead and s/s that ? Any idea on prices or availability of secondhand engines ? Or should I do something different ?

I DO plan to get 6 speed in a year or two but at moment my priority is a bit more power and a lot more torque if poss.

Incidentally the plan wont be implemented until later in the year so cannot actually buy anything at moment (if you happened to have just what I want for sale I don't want to disappoint you )

All comments and ideas welcome- especially if you've been in same boat.

I would think that for a good torque spread, there is no substitute for engine size - go straight to the 1.8 and maybe go S/S at a later date. Although I guess it depends on where you drive as to whether you are prepared to go for a peaky engine that requires a 6 speed (I would imagine track driving), or a less peaky engine that can get away with a 5 speed (albeit with the close ratio semi-helical gearset).

YMMV

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!