Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Now that does not seem right to me.....

Red SLR

After a good full day of sprinting on sunday I stopped at the petrol station to fill up on the way home. As I took the fuel cap off it shot about 10 feet accross the petrol station with a big pop!

Hmm... I collected it and filled up, then drove home and took it off again, not so much of a big reaction but there was *loads* of pressure there, way more than normal.

The only thing I have done to the car is I removed the emissions canister. I blocked one of the pipes up as it looked like it came from the petrol tank..... I think this is my problem. I know other people have removed this item so what have you dont to stop the back pressure?

Ta

X777CAT

Sounds like you blocked the tank breather as noted which then contained the pressure of the fuel expansion due to the hot day and popped your cap when you released it. If you sealed it hot and then the weather became cold the partial vacuum could well crush your tank (external pressure for you pedantics).

I believe the accepted mod is to run the breather hose up to the rollbar and then back down to exit under the car so that pressure has an escape path but petrol does not slosh out on cornering / rolling etc.

Simon