Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Some advice regarding upgrading from a X FLOW to ZETEC

Guy Lowe

I have recently switched from A 135BHP 1700 X Flow engine to a Blacktop 2.0L ZETEC from the Focus. With the exception of a lightened flywheel and 4 to 1 exhaust the engine is standard and I have retained my Weber 40's.

I was very pleased with the outcome, lots of toque through the rev range, obviously more power and generally much more drivable. However I was disappointed with the performance at high revs, in short it didn't really want to go above 5,500 and if you did, it seemed to take forever to get to 6,500 and didn't seem worth the effort.

So yesterday I took it to Sigma to see if a rolling road session would improve anything. At this stage I don't want to mess about with the map as it has the OMEX ECU with the well proven (read tame) Raceline map.

The carbs were jetted as per Caterham's spec for the Supersprint i.e.

120 mains

F16 emulsions

165 airs

50F9 idles

The only thing I had done was change the chokes from 32mm to 34's as many searches of Tech Talk seemed to indicate was the right thing to do, as did few people who had been there before me!

On the first run Peter took it up to 4,000, cut the engine, shook his head and muttered "I don't like that, (you have to understand Peter is one of the Old School of engine tuners), put 35 mains in it Bob (Bob is the oily rag but a very nice bloke)".

Second run up to 5,000 and again he shuts it off and says "still not enough, try 45 mains".

On the third run Peter took it up to 7,000, down and up a few times (it's frightening to watch and yes the primaries do glow red hot) shut it down and announced "that's better". The airs were then changed to 175's and after another run he was happy, said the engine performs well, spent a couple of minutes on the slow running jets and told Bob to make out the bill.

I went out this afternoon and the car is totally different, it gets to 7,000 so quickly and the power and torque is there all the way through the rev range, it really feels like a different engine. 😬

I was told by many when I fitted my ZETEC that it will run happily on the Super Sprint carburettor set up, all you have to do is change the chokes to 34mm, well this has proved not to be so in my case and I strongly advise anyone doing the upgrade to put it on a rolling road as soon as it is run in and to anyone thinking of upgrading to the ZETEC - JUST DO IT, you won't be disappointed and the Raceline offer will not last for ever.

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

The ZETEC is now running here

*thumbup* NIce job. Would make sense what you did. I would have though a 2.0L would have needed a bit more fuel at the top than a 1.7L *wink*

Glad you are pleased with it. It looks like a inexpensive(realatively), effective upgrade for X-flow owners. *thumbup* *smokin*

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

Went out for a longer run yesterday and one other BIG change in the engine has become apparent, FUEL CONSUMPTION *thumbdown* *thumbdown* *thumbdown*Looks like I will be spending quite a bit of time in petrol stations on the drive to Le Mans *rolleyes*

Andrew - YHM re SIGMA

Robert - No, it is better than the X Flow, but in the 1500 miles I have had the ZETEC I have been geting over 185 miles per tank, not now though *rolleyes*

Manxseven - Yes that's the one

Well, y'know, power comes from fuel, not air... *wink*

Good thing you got it done, a 2L engine generating 180 (?) bhp will always need rejetting cf a 1.7 with 135. The chokes will let the air through but the mixture will be too lean at the top end which explains the lack of power. It also explains why your tuner shut it down and put a bigger jet in immediately, a lean engine can burn holes in its pistons ☹️.

Happily now you have a correct mixture this won't happen.

How long before you fit MegaSquirt? 😬

Throttle bodies will always give you better fuel consumption when properly set up. I noticed quite a difference in range when I changed from carbs to TB's on my old Zetec engined 7. To be honest though I was never that bothered about fuel consumption from my toys. *wink*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Paul

Webers will never give as good fuel consumption as throttle bodies, however I now think it is quite a bit better that the X Flow, I am not really concerned about the consumption just really pleased with the way it performs *cool*

Brent

The financial issues of the consumption is not a problem, I am just worried that Tony will get fed up with my constant fuel stops and leave me behind and there will be no Toni & Guy at Le Mans 😬 😬 😬

I have similar setup except TB's and emerald>

I get ~25MPG on a 7 style brake fadeing type Blat

And 28-30's when I have to drive normally thankfully not too often 😬

Though on the fish n chip run on Sunday got 33+ MPG - used 8,8 gallons doing 292miles *thumbdown* *thumbdown*

I blame it on the weather *mad*

• 1 month later...

I have not driven in anger but I can feel the difference already.

It is a no contest decision when you know the difference between the two engine styles.

I have enjoyed fitting my engine as much as driving the car.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

It is a no contest decision when you know the difference between the two engine styles
Having recently diven to Le Mans and back in mine, I could not agree more 😬

I have enjoyed fitting my engine as much as driving the car
Same here, so the 7 will have to go as I want to build a 450HP ULTIMA Can Am now *wavey*

ZETEC NOW FOR SALE here

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 5 Jul 2007 08:11:44

Erh excuse me, are you Guy? 😬

Sigma Engineering

Unit 25

Brickfield Industrial Estate

Gillingham

Dorset SP8 4LT

Peter Landers T.01747 823270