Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

LSD noise on tight turns

ROC

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas on what I should do with the following problem. When I have the car on full lock in either direction I get a rubbing sound coming from the LSD. The oil level is fine and the car has only done 7K miles since new. The only other possible factor that may have some importance is that the car is in Sri Lanka with an average temp of about 32degrees - thus could I need a thicker oil?

Thanks

The diff running temperature is ~100degrees, so if it does it from cold then ambient temperature is not the problem. Do you know if you have the plate type diff? It might be the ramp angles and preload.

er..

Don't drive round tight corners? Kick the tail round on the throttle - perfect excuse.

Rupe,

Just got back from my honeymoon in Sri Lanka, you must have a bloody death-wish driving out there! Bunch of maniacs!! Although seeing the bad driving there was not a sign of road-rage, if that driving style was employed in the UK someone would have been assaulted.

And the road surfaces, don't get me started!

Kev.

Well I can relate to the death wish comment, a cycle trashed my nose cone for me two days ago. That having been said there are some great roads if you know where to look.

Sorry a few things cropped up today - namely monsoon type weather and other odds and ends that prevented me looking at the car.

I don't know what the spec is on the diff but is was the standard LSD that came with a August 2001 1.6K superlight if that helps. I will try and read up on and check out the spec tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner. Peter the problem is there from cold and I have not yet heard from the factory which type of Diff it is. Felix the sound is not easy to describe. It is a little like the sound a tyre rubbing on the bodywork at slow speed. Clearly I have checked and it is not that.

The car will be resting up for a bit as I will be overseas - so if you want a drive Fred now is the time to come. All yours.

If it's a standard plate type diff and you get the sound in tight corners (like manoeuvring at full lock or when doing a U turn), it could well be the LSD which is sensing very large differences in rear wheel speeds and causing the tyres to scrub as it tries to prevent what it sees as wheel slip. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about. You shouldn't hear it during normal driving though. On some surfaces you'll actually be able to see the scuff marks left by your rear tyres.

I don't know how to tell what sort of LSD you have; perhaps your Caterham agent can help?

Thanks Felix. I tried to get through to the factory today but getting a line out of Sri Lanka was a little tough. I do only get the noise at slow speeds doing U turns etc. so you may have got it on the nose.

thanks