Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust rap do i need it ?

jonsharland

I saw a post earlier on about Exhaust rap and I getting my car in 10 13 days now (cannot wait as all my friends and family will rightly inform you) but should I be thinking about rapping the exhaust or is it not really needed for day to day use and what are the advantages of this

thanks

jon

If you've got a highly tuned engine with a competition style manifold and you want to get the most performance from it then lagging the exhaust can help provide a couple more horsepower by keeping the underbonnet temps down.

If you've got an engine in modest tune with a banana bunch short manifold (which will be a pig to wrap). Then I wouldn't worry too much as the percentage gain in power would be less noticeable. Replacing the manifold with a nicely designed competition version will have more benefit as the std manifold is rather compromised.

If you just want to protect the starter motor which can be unreliable in later life then lagging is probably a good idea although the insulation will raise the metal temperature of the exhaust shortening its life instead. Another bonus is that the engine is easier to work on at short notice after shutting off as there's less heat coming off the exhaust.

BC

This is part of a response from Mark Fisher (of Fisher Sportscars) about wrapping....

"Exhaust wrap works well if used properly. Beware of exposing even small areas of any part of the exhaust system. The radiated heat from even the tiniest portion will be far greater than any part of an unwrapped system. The act of wrapping retains the enormous heat of the cylinder head gasses so beware of melting the support bobbins and also any mounting that can transfer heat to the chassis.

"GRP, when heated sufficiently, will release vapours that have a low flash point. If a large area is hot enough a big fire will start.

"Customers who line their sills as recommended by us with heat reflective material combined with a good air flow experience no problems."

.......so be warned...?!?!?!?