Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series thermostat

jono

I've got my newly DVA built 1.8ss on the bench busily re-fitting the ancilliaries with a view to being back on the road end of May *smokin*

Just wondering is it worth putting in a new thermostat, cos it's dead easy or do these tend not to wear out?

If so what type of stat would be best suited for a 1.8 ss - I think there may be two types with different trigger temps *confused*

Cheers *thumbup*

or stick a PRRT on it - a search will turn up plenty of useful links.

Basically PRRT (pressure relief remote thermostat) is easier to get to ie not under the throttle bodies, has a *much* bigger bypass hose, and will open under excess pressure.

There's a fairly cheap (£50) freelander kit that's got everything in it.

with the caveat that i haven't fitted mine yet, so I shouldn't be talking it up until I've proved it...although several others have!

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD?

I suggest using a 74 deg C stat. This opens earlier and allows full water flow. The last thing you need is the stat partly closing up on cool days when you are out for a blat. Drilling the stat base plate 4 - 6 holes dia 4mm help flow and bleeding bubbles/airlocks out.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Um - I had two 4 mm holes in my stat and found this was too much for cold weather - engine didn't really come up to temp at normal road sppeds. I ended up replacing it with a new 82 C stat with a single smaller hole to aid beeding - much quicker warm up (Engine is a R400). Replacing the stat with the engine in the car is a real PITA

The PRT looks like a good solution - another alternative is that QED sell a top hose stat kit.

Dave

Edited by - davef on 9 May 2007 19:16:07

A 74 degree stat is too cool and is readily used to compensate for failings elsewhere in the cooling system.

A more effective solution is to use a PRRT set up this enable the temp to be maintained at 80 degrees and greatly reduces the thermal cycle on the reurn water that the OE set up exposes the engine to.

*thumbup*

Too young to be old !