Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding K series

Dave McCulloch

I've searched the archives and found a load of useful info on this. Looking at the pipework, it does strike me that raising the front of the car (however high) will never bleed the pipe from the thermostat housing to the heater, as this goes to the top connection on the heater and the water rail connects to the bottom hose.

The manual is very specific to ensure that the pipes are connected this way round due to the heater valve, but is there any reason why these cannot be reversed, so that air could rise up the pipe from the themostat housing, through the heater and bleed out via the water rail through the radiator bleed screw? If the pipes cannot simply be reversed, could the valve also be reversed?

As an alternative I may get a price for a small engineering shop to knock up a short section if 5/8" brass pipe with a bleed screw in it which I could insert in the top end of the heater hose from the thermostat. (Was going to doctor the heater pipe used by Rover which has a bleed screw already in it, but apparently they stopped making these cause they caused too many problems - leaking I assume!)

Any thoughts please?

Dave

Afraid I'm a bit of a wimp, and the wife would definitely refuse to go anywhere in it without a heater!!

Though I can see why people without heaters won't have this problem, as air from the "heater" pipe from the thermostat would naturally escape vie the water rail if the front of the car is raised.

Dave