Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car Transformation!!

caterhamnut

I have a new car.

Well, not really, but last weekend I fitted a 4-1 exhaust to my 1.6k S, which is otherwise in standard spec. (The exhaust became avaliable due to PC's Curborough upgrades, and has kindly been sold to me for an as yet undecided figure!)

Much has been discussed on this forum about what the improvements are when you upgrade from the existing standard exhaust, so I was not sure what to expect. Obviously you want it to be a noticable improvment, to justify the change. As I pootled slowly away from Peter's garage, the noise was imediatly better - a deeper, less farty noise. Engine warmed up, and on to the A3 and as soon as I accelerated even slightly hard, the differance was huge. The car now pulls far stronger mid-range, and so the acceleration feels far more powerful. It really did feel like a different car. I was amazed what a differance this simple job made, and cannot recommend it enough for anyone considering a change.

Monday evening Tessa and I went for a little blat to try out our new toy. Ended up driving from Balham, down to a friend in Crawley, then onto Brighton (to see the sea - though it was midnight by this time) then along to Worthing, and back to London along the great A24. Got back about 2am! The increase in pull away from the fast roundabouts was fantastic.

The only downside to all this of course is that I am now on that slippery slope of upgraditis (thanks Peter!)

One more thing - once again amazed at how much a Honda Accord Type R will swallow in the boot.(Peter assisted Tessa and I ina flat move the previous weekend) We loaded a complete Caterham, except chassis, into Peters car. I mean everything! Engine, gearbox, diff, fuel tank, wings, seats, all the bits, roll bars - all except the wheels. I have a great photo of the boot closed where you can see the engine through the hatch - like a Ferrari 360! I am sure I could sell it to a gullible car mag and claim it was a spy shot of a new mid-engined Honda!

Now - what to uprade next.......

Don't do it. Be polite but very firm. Return the exhaust to Peter C saying you've made a terrible mistake and can he forgive you mucking him around.

Believe me, this is a best way is to nip the fever in the bud before it takes hold, otherwise it's a slippery (steep) slope.

Edited by - wallbanger on 11 Apr 2002 13:53:53

Kev,

I was fitting a 2nd hand exhaust, so some cleaning up of mating surfaces was required, but apart from that its all pretty simple. The only issue is access, and fitting all the pipes in (and out) but its just a case of trying things. There is an order to feeding all the seperate primarys in.

Cutting the hole was pretty easy, and I seem to have quite a neat job. Used a tank cutter to increase the existing hole, a nibbler to get it finer, and a sanding flapper to tidy up.

Not sure on costs of new, but I asked the question a few weeks back on this forum, so do a search, but I think there were figures of £500/600? Obvious advantage of new is a nice shiny systemif that is important.

Keeping old exhaust (cat) for MOT purposes, but wont go back otherwise!

Foot well and truely dipped into upgradeitus....!

James, the sanding flapper (probably NOT the right term!!) gives a good finish, so no further work required. Get round to our place and have a look!! (In fact, Tessa is off home for a few nights, so come round for a night of PS 2 GT3, some great photo's of caterhams round Europe - I know you like photography - racing videos and fine wine. How can you refuse?)

James - just realized you probably meant mating surfaces not the hole - yes, wet'n dry with a (heavy) and v.flat block if you have one. Needed to get the surface down by about 2 thou'to get rid of some slight blowing areas, which PC thinks were caused by twisting at the time of and engine mount failure. Detail stuff, but if a jobs worth doing etc etc...

Kev,

The hardest part was getting the old cluster of one-piece piping out from the car - had to undo the engine bay tie bar, but no big deal. Some of the fixing bolts are a bugger to reach, but agin, its not that bad. If you can hold a spanner, and dont mind cutting your car up, its an easy job - and massively worth it!!

Edited by - angus&tessa on 16 Apr 2002 15:50:52