Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BGH Gearbox

Tex

Hi All,

I need to upgrade my Type 9 to a better box but cant afford the Quaife ones.

I have heard that BGH do some good boxes and after speaking with Brian he said the one to go for is the Superclose 2.66 with the ratios:

1:1

I am running VX 2.0l with twin carbs, current power about 180 but due to go to the 210 on throttle bodies soon. Mainly for fast road with some track days.

Advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Tex

Tex

I have been using a BGH box for about 3 years now and it does exactly what it says on the tin. My ratios are 2.83, 1.81, 1.26 1.00 0.87 (only 1st and 5th modified) and it worked great with the 1800 x-flow and now seems fine with the 2 litre Zetec. The ratios quoted give you a slightly closer 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd than mine and that will certainly be an advantage. My box is totally silent in all gears baring a very slight whine in 1st which was expected, the change is typically 5 speed using the Ford red oil. I personally prefer it to the 4 speed strait cut box I had in the car previously, some people call the noise character but I found it unpleasant on longer journeys, the wife found it intollerable, the BGH box was much cheaper than a divorce.

Paul

Thanks for the info. btw I think anything is much cheaper than a divorce!

Do you know whether the BGH rocket 5 and superclose boxes use Roller Bearings in them? Its a bugger to find info on them, the only decent site is Dave Andrew's one.

Cheers,

Tex.

I have a BGH rocket 5 for sale if you are interested. Its 18 months old with a quickshift and alloy lid. Ratios are:

1st - 2.58:1

2nd - 1.65:1

3rd - 1.23:1

4th - 1:1

5th - 0.91:1

Email if you are interested.

John