Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to copaslip brakes?

db

Close to the body, on that triangular bit that sticks out to prop up the round thing that goes round and round. Remember to put something soft on top of the jack, to save damaging the powder coating.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

On my car I found that coppaslip on the back of the pads worked a treat to reduce squeal, notsure I understand the theory too well but it made a huge difference on mine.

For a short while only - the Silverstone grid girls here (and a few nice cars!)

Wightblat 2007 pictures here

Imagine what a complete anti-climax it was to finally finish enough work to have a go, and on opening my Caterham-supplied jack-bag for the first time to find that there was no wheel nut spanner.

Game over.

My ... Preciousss!

Hi Brake Squealers United

My brakes squeal too but usually only as per described by Dave J.

I suggest keeping Coppaslip and similar copper greases AWAY from your brakes!!! This may seem contentious after all the above and Coppaslip CAN help reduce squeal and has been used since time immemorial

But:

It attracts muck and grit and holds it in the caliper increasing wear and seizure of pads on caliper sliders.

The grease bases are often of unspecified type, and may attack the caliper rubber dust seals.

Low melt point of grease means it may run to where it shouldn't be.

It dries out leaving gungey residue of copper.

It looks vile

I suggest using CERATEC

Made by Mintex exactly for the job for which people use Coppaslip but without the disadvantages...

Available for about £3 a tube from motor factors.

:-)

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

db, I think you need to abandon this line of thought entirely.

As you mentioned in the first post, if you are indeed a member of the White Suit'n Amex school of motor mechanicians, why abandon the fine principles embodied in their code?

I think of it as being like the old Chinese mandarins who had those very long curly fingernails as an outward sign of their nobility, and to show the world that they were so above the rest of us poor mortals that they obviously had servants to do all the nasty, messy things which being extant on this whirling lump of rock entails.

By keeping that white suit on, it's perfectly clear to any observer with a whit or smidgin of intelligence, that you couldn't be expected to know which end of the triangular thingy to put a jack under, and nor SHOULD you! *smile*

I was utterly horrified to see a photograph of what appears to be a BARE FOOTED Delbert, actually holding something looking suspiciously like a spanner, whilst leering unconvincingly into the engine cavity of his car, known as Zena.

Where was his suit? Where, indeed, were his shoes?

We are all thinking of cancelling our subscriptions to Amex now The Leader has so fallen from grace.

And now this horror story from yourself! *eek* *eek* *eek*

Don't let yourself slide down to OUR level! *tongue*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 7 May 2007 07:28:40

The thing that's really going to scare you is that when my friend's car failed to start yesterday, I was his first port of call for technical assistance.

And I was able to help.

I'd rather be sitting in it, than under it, it's true. But on the days when I have to go under it, I'd rather not break it. So all your advice greatly appreciated.

My ... Preciousss!

In fact you were my first port of call when my car "overheated" then wouldn't start when I picked it up !

But I love your thread, its exactly how I am - wishbones.... chamfering... errrr what !!??

Have to say I am learning it all though :D

• 1 year later...

In case anyone reads old threads, I solved this the old-fashioned way.

I took the car out for a jolly good warm-up run and then found a 10 miles section of road to do braking down from 30, 60 and 100. Ten times each to really bed the pads in.

Squeal went away, although the villagers of Tetsworth won't forget that day in a hurry.

My ... Preciousss!