Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

How to copaslip brakes?

db

Right. Front brakes. New greenstuff pads fitted on old discs.

I've got the squeal from hell. Makes people turn round, babies cry, the works.

I'm armed with a tube of copaslip, as I understand this helps. where do I squirt it?

An internet search suggests the back of the pads where they contact the pistons. Back isn't clear - I appear to have left and right, or at least inside and outside.

To what extent will I have to dismantle the car to do this? Wheels off? Find a spanner?

Any advice or piccies?

Ever, in Delbert's white suit,

db

My ... Preciousss!

Standard front brakes??

If so, remove wheel.

Pull out R clip from end of pad retaining rod.

Pull out rod.

Remove pads.

Rub copaslip on back of pads.

Replace pads, put rod back in, put R clip back in end of rod, put wheel back on.

Simple!

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Just to make Charles' post absolutely clear, the 'back' of the pad is the side against the piston, NOT against the disk.

Rubbing it on the 'front' will reduce the brake squeal, but will make the driver scream *wink*

See some pictures of the build here. 12000 miles completed!

Car falls off jack

Touching brake pad working surface with copaslip coated finger.

Cross-thread wheel nuts

........ ok then - no !

While you have the pads out, you may want to file a small 45-degree chamfer across the leading edge (the first edge of the pad that the disc hits when driving forwards) of the brake pads - I have done this as standard for hundreds of years.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

Loosen the cap on the Brake fluid reservoir, and put a cloth under neath it. Use a long flat bladed screwdriver to push the pistons back in the caliper BEFORE you remove the old pads.

Look, I am no expert on this subject but I have recently had exactly the same problem with brake sqeal that can shatter shop windows at 100m 😳. Brake squeal is ALWAYS present (it is a product of friction caused by 2 surfaces rubbing together) but it is all a matter of resonating frequencies as to whether you can actually hear it. This can be affected by the mass of the caliper or disc or even suspension components. If you look at your average tin-top caliper you will quite often see extra casting lumps on the body of the caliper. These are usually present to upset the resonance that can cause audible brake squeal.

One of the main reasons that squeal will start is after switching pad materials (the problem I had) or possibly not bedding the pads in correctly.

The use of Coppaslip to stop squeal is a bit of an urban myth. The idea behind it is that the copper particles (not the rather inadequate holding grease) form a barrier between the caliper piston and the brake pad thereby upsetting the nasty resonating frequencies. In reality the effect is quite minimal because there is insufficient material to adequately change the resonating frequency. Using 3m self adheasive shim pads is more likely to succeed but in my case all I succeeded in doing was causing BOTH wheels to squeal *mad*.

One other thing to try is to de-glaze the disc with some course emery cloth. This will help to remove the pad material deposits that you can't see and which are one of the main causes of squeal when changing pads. Also reface the pads (new or not) by laying a sheet of course emery on a flat surface and using a circular motion take a small amount off the surface each pad.

Chamferring the leading and trailing edges (and also the edges of any slots that may be cut in your pads) may also help to minimise squeal.

As you can see, there is no easy answer to brake squeal, if there was then someone would be very rich. In my case I have had to replace my disks which ultimately cured the problem (fingers crossed) but I guess it could come back at any time *cry*.

Good luck *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - Surrey AO and Su77on Se7ener

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 4 May 2007 09:14:05

I find that a damn good hard braking session resolves brake squeal. I also chamfer the leading edge of the pads.

I find it comes back again if I do a lot of raod work with very light brake applications - this is made worse I guess if your running "race" pads like RS15's or DS3000 etc which need a bit more heat to do their thing ?.