Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's the drill removing the lower wishbone balljoint?

MartinWoodham

Can the balljoint be removed in situ or do you have to (recommend) taking the wishbone off the car first?

and any hints/ tips?

Again on behalf of Nifty...

TIA

Martin

Aero'd supersported ex-Roadsports B...anyone got a cheap LSD?

Edited by - mwoodham on 3 May 2007 10:40:02

A while since I've done this so forgive me if I'm wrong

Unbolt the specially turned nyloc from underneath. Separate upright from bearing. Look to see which type of circlip you have. If it is a normal circlip (two little tabs with holes)- remove with circlip pliers. If it's a spiral type, get a small screw driver under the tab and flick it out of the groove, then rotate the clip till it's all out. You'll probably need to use a hammer the help get the bearing out. Should be possible with it on the car but no doubt easier if you remove the wishbone.

Took them off and put a short 1/2" socket extension bar in the middle and walloped (gentley pursued) it out on the workmate *thumbup*

Cleaned the bearing seat with some fine emery paper and the spherical joint eased in nicely just going home with a tap from a 13/16" socket *thumbup* *thumbup*

However, much easier to remember to put the circlip (spiral type) back in before you put the wishbone back on the car *redface*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I don't think that's correct 😬 The weight of the car is trying to push the spherical bearing deeper into its seat.

Agree about the "Bearing Fit" sealant though - don't want the bearing outer race to rotate in it's seating.

BRG Brooklands SV 2.0L Ammo Duratec 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

The torque of the nut will hold the bearing in place on the upright and in it's wishbone seating (though a little bearing seal may not have gone a miss - didn't have any to hand, might get some and redo them if possible *redface*)

I can't see how there would be any weight transfer onto the circlip *confused*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

No need to remove the wishbone IMO.

I find it easier to remove the top link so that I can position the upright in line to get a socket (angle ground flush one) on the delicate ali nut for removal.

You need to bearing seal (was available from Halfords last time I needed some) the bearing in otherwise it may slopp up and down and under droop (when you lift off at the Mountain as Cadwell for example) the weight of the suspension will be on the circlip / at the MOT test and it will fail on this just as it would if the bearing was worn!

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here